i30 Owners Club

Hi All....

tanya1000 · 85 · 15572

Offline tanya1000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
I'm feeling like a bit of an infiltrator because I don't actually own an i30 as yet. I live in a remote part of Western Australia and I am seriously considering purchasing one shortly.

I have been considering...well, lots of vehicles. The Ford Focus, Mazdas 2 and 3, Toyota Yaris but have started to take a keen interest in the Hyundai range. Began by looking at the Accent range but I am debating on whether to spend a bit more on the i30. In any case it will be a manual.

What I am after is some honest feedback on your cars. What you like, (don't like??), for those in Australia...any servicing issues (costs and after service problems). All comments are appreciated and apologies for slinking in like this...  :-[

Regards....Tanya

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Hi Tanya &  :welcome:
Great to see another West Aussie  :goodjob2:
Would you be looking at a petrol or a diesel do you think?
And the current model or the forthcoming new i30?
There's plenty of info on the forum - have a look around and ask anything you want.
My car is a diesel manual and I'm extremely happy with it, as are most owners.
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome aboard Tanya.  :razz:  if you brouse through the forum you'll no doubt get all the answers you need.   :mrgreen:  you wont find very many negatives or common faults in the i30.  :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Don't feel bad Tanya, many of our members don't drive an i30  :whistler:  We have had a manual Diesel Hatch (which I did drive most of the time) and now a manual 2.0 petrol CW which is my wife's car (and I only drive occassionally.

Both are/were great cars but if you can afford the extra $2500 I would recommend the Diesel. Glad you are going a manual as the economy difference is quite marked (compared to the auto) and there is a slight cloud over the more recent auto gearboxes..

Servicing is slightly dearer in the diesel but averages out a bit over time as the drive belt doesn't need replacing at 90,000kms.
The 2.0 Petrol is a bit quicker off the mark and a nice drive around town but the Diesel's extra torque makes for an awesome drive on the highway (particularly hills) The manual in particular (in all varients) has been almost bullet proof.

Some complain about road noise but it is about average for the class. There is a new shape which is more refined due in a few months but I expect it to be a good 10% dearer...

I personally like the CW body better if you can find another $2000.. so a Manual Diesel CW SLX would be the pick of the litter but if you can't quite stretch that far a Manual Diesel CW SX with Cruise pack is good value ($400 = Cruise and fog lights)

Please feel free to ask specific questions..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Tanya, the Mazda 2 and yaris are obviously smaller than the Focus, Mazda 3 and i30. So you need to consider which you feel most comfortable in. The smaller one in my experience aren't as good to ride in on rural roads. But you might find the accent suits you as it falls in size between the Mazda 2/ Yaris and the other 3.
Good price, too.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Tanya, the Mazda 2 and yaris are obviously smaller than the Focus, Mazda 3 and i30. So you need to consider which you feel most comfortable in. The smaller one in my experience aren't as good to ride in on rural roads. But you might find the accent suits you as it falls in size between the Mazda 2/ Yaris and the other 3.
Good price, too.

And you can buy a diesel manual Accent too but only in base spec.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i should mention the new shape i30 comes out around September this year,so there will  be big savings if you decide to buy the currant shape i30 in the next 3-4 months.  :idea: :winker:  or just wait for the new shape i30.  :happydance:
two of our overseas members have the new shape i30,lucky buggers.  :cool:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Good price, too.

And you can buy a diesel manual Accent too but only in base spec.
but petrol is better than diesel,so there.  :p :whistler: :rofl:

Offline tanya1000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Hi again

Wow....thanks for the quick hello's. Sorry, should have been more specific. Looking at the petrol engine (would love the diesel but probably can't afford it). I live in a quite remotely and I am limited by dealerships in Geraldton so they have me over a barrel when it comes to trying to negotiate. Currently, I have been offered the 1.6 sx, petrol, manual i30 for $18,990 d/a and there is a special on the i30 Trophy for about $20,000. Haven't got too many specifics as the dealership who was supposed to get me further details today, declined to get back to me.  :fum:

I'm just wondering if the i30 is worth spending the extra on .....and I do realise I am asking the converted here!! Certainly the reviews I've read are slightly more favorable but the main thing I'm after are the safety features (which are as good I think on the Accent) and the warranty (same on both cars). Performance wise...dare I say it, I'm ok with a car that gets me from A to B (there, I said it  :rolleyes:) and as I currently drive a 2005 Toyota Echo sedan, I'm guessing the performance with either car will probably be a step up anyway.

Thanks again everyone!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I hate to say it but if I were you I would probably go the accent at $16,990 from what trevor has said nice little car/great value and you wouldn't be gaining a lot for the extra $2000 in the base 1.6  i30... :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome Tanya1000,

We have 2 i30 diesels in our family and they're absolutely fabulous on the open road. The diesel is turbocharged 16 valve & very responsive engine. Diesel engines last for a very long time as the fuel is a very light grade oil, which is good for the engine. Ours are both autos but I hear the manual is fine too. Our diesels are returning about 6.5 l/100 at the moment, but we haven't taken the cxars on a proper trip yet. You won't be disappointed if you chose i30.  :happydance:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Hi again

Wow....thanks for the quick hello's. Sorry, should have been more specific. Looking at the petrol engine (would love the diesel but probably can't afford it). I live in a quite remotely and I am limited by dealerships in Geraldton so they have me over a barrel when it comes to trying to negotiate. Currently, I have been offered the 1.6 sx, petrol, manual i30 for $18,990 d/a and there is a special on the i30 Trophy for about $20,000. Haven't got too many specifics as the dealership who was supposed to get me further details today, declined to get back to me.  :fum:

I'm just wondering if the i30 is worth spending the extra on .....and I do realise I am asking the converted here!! Certainly the reviews I've read are slightly more favorable but the main thing I'm after are the safety features (which are as good I think on the Accent) and the warranty (same on both cars). Performance wise...dare I say it, I'm ok with a car that gets me from A to B (there, I said it  :rolleyes:) and as I currently drive a 2005 Toyota Echo sedan, I'm guessing the performance with either car will probably be a step up anyway.

Thanks again everyone!

You'll probably get different viewpoints (to be expected) and at the end of the day you need to do what you feel suits you.
But my thoughts would be the cheaper price i30 is for the small engine. In the country, I would probably go for the 2.0 litre petrol in a car of the i30's size (i.e. the Trophy for example).
Having said that, the Accent is very good value and performs well with the 1.6.
I would suggest asking to drive the different models over a reasonable distance and see what fits with you.
There is also no reason why you can't do some shopping around in Perth and then talk pricing to your local dealer - they should at least match if not better it.
Is the Hyundai dealership in Geraldton different to the Kia one?
The reason I ask is a friend of mine bought a Kia Sorento from up there and was happy with the service.
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
go the 2.0 petrol i30.  :razz: the accent and i30 have identical warranty,5 years unlimited kms and identical safety features,5 star safety rating.  :cool!:  :brilliant:

Offline tanya1000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
I would be more than happy with the current model from a style and performance point of view (as I said I drive an Echo,great little car but...it's gotta be a step up). Also have another hitch in that I am quite likely to be moving either back to Victoria or Tasmania shortly so if a dealership doesn't have it stock (as in Geraldton), I won't be able to order it and may just have to wait until I make the move.

Dave...the dealership handles Ford, Hyundai and Kia I think, all wrapped up in a neat bundle but sadly, when enquiring about the Ford Focus, they didn't even have one to test drive and only have very limited i30's in stock.

It's about 1000km down to Perth and 410km down to Geraldton so as you can see, I don't want to be making too many trips to organise this but it is a big amount of $$$ (I won't say investment) so that's why I'm trying to get all the advice I can get.

Already, you have all been most helpful and welcoming...I do appreciate it! :happydance: :happydance:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day,

The I30 is a tough little car, that is going towards run out.

The dealer on the coast has a I30 CW diesel auto for 23,990 drive away, without even trying for a discount.

Personally I would be hitting carsales.com.au getting the best price, and telling your dealer that he goes close to that, or your going for a nice driving holiday.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The Kia dealership in Geraldton was called Auto Elite.
If Geraldton Hyundai are helpful & competitive then by all means shop local.
If they aren't, there are dealerships in Perth who will cater for you.
It doesn't cost much (in the scheme of things) to have a car delivered to you or there are members in Perth who can help out too (me included) if you want any negotiating done on your behalf.
I already have relationships with Hyundai dealers here, as do others, so more than happy to assist if you require it.
The new generation Accent is $16990 drive away at the moment (which is basically free on-roads) so it's pretty competitively priced and comes in sedan or hatch.
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The Kia dealership in Geraldton was called Auto Elite.
If Geraldton Hyundai are helpful & competitive then by all means shop local.
If they aren't, there are dealerships in Perth who will cater for you.
It doesn't cost much (in the scheme of things) to have a car delivered to you or there are members in Perth who can help out too (me included) if you want any negotiating done on your behalf.
I already have relationships with Hyundai dealers here, as do others, so more than happy to assist if you require it.
The new generation Accent is $16990 drive away at the moment (which is basically free on-roads) so it's pretty competitively priced and comes in sedan or hatch.
Dave
Diesel I hope?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Welcome Tanya :D

Some great advice up there ^^^ for you.

All I can say is:

(a) we don't always have cartoon cats as our forum wallpaper :eek:

(b) an i30 won't pull to the left if you fit "Yokohama A" tyres ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline tanya1000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Hi Dave

I've got a feeling that even if Geraldton could be competative, they probably won't have what I want in stock and the wait time may be too long and it will be a long drive to Perth anyway.

I would certainly appreciate some assistance if you don't mind * shaking head at disbelief at your very kind offer   :faint:*. I have 4 days coming up quite soon (9th-12th May) and was thinking about trekking down to Perth anyway but I'm a bad haggler at the est of times so anything you could do would be just amazing!

Tanya

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

No worries, I'll pm you.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Welcome Tanya :D

Some great advice up there ^^^ for you.

All I can say is:

(a) we don't always have cartoon cats as our forum wallpaper :eek:

(b) an i30 won't pull to the left if you fit "Yokohama A" tyres ;)
i forgot about the cats wallpaper.  :-[ :whistler: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Oh and its traditional for the new person to shout the beers.... :beer:

Offline tanya1000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Ok Shambles

Is that a coincidence or what, that comment about Yoko tyres and pulling to the left??? Where did you get that from??
I quite like the wallpaper...very appropiate celebratory style for someones birthday...

Tanya

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Ok Shambles

Is that a coincidence or what, that comment about Yoko tyres and pulling to the left??? Where did you get that from??
I quite like the wallpaper...very appropiate celebratory style for someones birthday...

Tanya
shambles is Yoda.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:   and no we aren't a cult.  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mine doesn't pull to the left...mine is straight as....

Offline tanya1000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Delighted to hear it! Here's a beer on me!

I did get a set of  Yoko A drive tyres on the Echo about 4 weeks ago and it pulled to the left...... :scared: is he stalking me???  :rofl:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

I did get a set of  Yoko A drive tyres on the Echo about 4 weeks ago and it pulled to the left...... :scared: is he stalking me???  :rofl:
:winker:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Read your mind, he did  :exclaim: :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline tanya1000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Amazing, isn't he!!

Must go iron now  :blubber: The fun never ends!

Thanks for all the welcome comments and advice. Looking forward to anything else anyone has to add.

You've been most welcoming.....Tanya  :goodjob2:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome tanya1000

Great feedback from our oz members for you and help in Perth if you decided to take a road trip.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal