i30 Owners Club

Worth it? (2012 Petrol Hyundai i30 Elite model: $19,000: 10,000km)

Pantries · 289 · 55426

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Thanks Jordan, my pleasure.
We all only want you to get the car you want and enjoy its ownership.  :goodjob2:
I'm sure you will.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
True mate.

Talked with the 'rents, and we're probably going to go with the Victorian one. It'll probably round up to $23,000 when registration, insurance and stamp duty is paid.. When I call them tomorrow to confirm it, I'm going to try get them to pay stamp duty, or half of it, and see what they say.  :P

G'day again.

I find with anything you can negotiate so far to 'get you interested' but the real negotiation doesn't start until you show that you are serious. If you have a deposit to put down, thats when the end game starts.  Make sure they realise you have the ability to make the deal, do this by asking if they take deposits on credit cards.....Then drop the price from where you were.  :twisted:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Alright, they said they can't go any lower on 21,000, nor can they pay transport costs, etc. They were originally going to ask for 21,500 but they removed the $500 to help us with transport costs.

Any other tricks I can use before finalising?

But is $21,000 good for the car? 13,000km, tinted windows, heated seats, floor mats, excludes on road costs, etc? When I look on carsales their around 26,000 brand new, and its 2000 extra when compared to the car that I was originally going to purchase (the reason this thread was made).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 00:57:16 by Pantries »
  • Hyundai i30 Automatic Petrol Premium 2012

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I assume they know that you're cashed up. If so, stand your ground and let them know there's another in WA with less kms. Give them a day or so, I think they'll contact you. This is where they expect you to shift your position because buyers become emotionally focussed on purchasing "that" car. However, you'll have more success with them if you adopt an emotionless approach, as in "oh well, if this one's not to be, then so be it, i'll keep looking."

Please note, these are just my opinions, not necessarily advice you should follow.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I assume they know that you're cashed up. If so, stand your ground and let them know there's another in WA with less kms. Give them a day or so, I think they'll contact you. This is where they expect you to shift your position because buyers become emotionally focussed on purchasing "that" car. However, you'll have more success with them if you adopt an emotionless approach, as in "oh well, if this one's not to be, then so be it, i'll keep looking."

Please note, these are just my opinions, not necessarily advice you should follow.
I tend to agree with Phil here, but both of us are in an older age bracket than you are.
My advice would be to go with your gut.
Basically, if you're happy to pay $21,000, then do it. Buy the car and get on with the enjoyment of driving it.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Jordan, call Paul Griffiths on 08 9445 5623
He wants to sell the car
Don't speak to anyone else there
If they've reduced it to $19999 ask for transport
He's chasing me so it's worth a call
Good luck
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire

I tend to agree with Phil here, but both of us are in an older age bracket than you are.
My advice would be to go with your gut.
Basically, if you're happy to pay $21,000, then do it. Buy the car and get on with the enjoyment of driving it.

Yeah, it's a little more than I expected, but it'll be worth it by the end. Cheers fella's.

Jordan, call Paul Griffiths on 08 9445 5623
He wants to sell the car
Don't speak to anyone else there
If they've reduced it to $19999 ask for transport
He's chasing me so it's worth a call
Good luck

Just gave him a call, and spoke to Paul. I told him about the Victorian vehicle, and he recommended I go with that vehicle since their the same model, with just about the same KM, but has a few extras like heated seats and tinted windows and so he it'll work out to be better if I go with Victoria..

I tried asking if he'd do 20,000 with transport costs but he said he can't.

Very nice guy though, appreciate that he gave his honesty in which offer is better.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
No worries, worth a try
Good luck with the other one

Cheers mate, appreciate your efforts. :D

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Done and done, $500 deposit put through. Came to a total of $21,000. Really happy with the purchase since it's been confirmed.

The bloke from Western Australia called me back and tried to sell me his car again. Said he could do $20,000 + $1,000 for transport costs, so I thought it'd be better to go with the $21,000 car and includes the few extras like tinted windows, heated seats, etc. and includes transport costs (who knew I would be able to haggle that into the final price.. I didn't, heh.). But has less than 2 thousand KM extra.

I'll keep ya'll updated as to when I receive the car.

Cheers to everyone that's posted their opinion and given me very helpful information, been a great help.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Congratulations and welcome to i30 ownership.  :hatoff:

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Cheers mate!  :D

On that note, I was browsing gumtree and found this car,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/glenroy/cars-vans-utes/hyundai-i30-2013-must-sell/1025790934#

$18000 for a 2013 Elite, 3,200km? How does that work.  :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Stop browsing  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Stop browsing  :D

:whsaid:

Congratulations Pantries  :cool!: :Agoodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Cheers mate!  :D

On that note, I was browsing gumtree and found this car,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/glenroy/cars-vans-utes/hyundai-i30-2013-must-sell/1025790934#

$18000 for a 2013 Elite, 3,200km? How does that work.  :confused:

If something is too good to be true......

Congrats on the car!

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Cheers fellas, appreciate it. Based off that price, did I do well  considering it was a dealer? Or could I have gotten a better deal?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I think you did ok considering the added extras tint & heated seats. :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Seems fair to me.. sometimes if you negotiate too hard you can miss out on a great car (there is a fine line)

It was good you didn't rush in  :goodjob:

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Thanks again for the kind words. Out of curiosity, what's the depreciation like on the i30's? Is it a lot or depends on the circumstances?

I know a mate of mine has a Toyota Yaris and got it for $21,000 brand new, has had it for two years now I think and his has only depreciated by.. $3000?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks again for the kind words. Out of curiosity, what's the depreciation like on the i30's? Is it a lot or depends on the circumstances?

I know a mate of mine has a Toyota Yaris and got it for $21,000 brand new, has had it for two years now I think and his has only depreciated by.. $3000?

The Diesels probably keep their price better than the petrol, but they do cost more to start with.

From my experience the i30 hold's value much better than earlier Hyundais and would be close to or maybe better than the industry average.

If your friend thinks his Yaris is still worth 18K after 2 years he will get a rude shock..some dealers might try and sell a similar one for that (but I don't reckon they would get it)

He would be lucky to get 13 or 14K as a trade I reckon  :cool:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Diesel Auto wagons seem to be holding up ok  :whistler:

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire

The Diesels probably keep their price better than the petrol, but they do cost more to start with.

From my experience the i30 hold's value much better than earlier Hyundais and would be close to or maybe better than the industry average.

If your friend thinks his Yaris is still worth 18K after 2 years he will get a rude shock..some dealers might try and sell a similar one for that (but I don't reckon they would get it)

He would be lucky to get 13 or 14K as a trade I reckon  :cool:

Yeah 13-14k sounds more reasonable. Good to hear that they're getting better depreciation rates than the industry average.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Quick question, is diesel worth it? That is if the car in the end is cheaper than a petrol version? Even if you do mainly city driving?

Thanks.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Quick question, is diesel worth it? That is if the car in the end is cheaper than a petrol version? Even if you do mainly city driving?

Thanks.

The Diesel is a different drive (feels more like a 6 Cyl in most situations, which is quite addictive)

Once the engine is warm it is probably more economical in town than the 2.0 petrol as well.

If you can get an equivalent Diesel (same Specs and mileage) for the same or less than a petrol, I would go for it every time (and we have had both)  :mrgreen:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Diesel cars are a different drive to petrol. On this forum, you will find advocates for both types, so the decision has to be yours based on the information available.

I have had petrol cars all my life, until the 2 Diesels (Daughter / Wife), we own in our family. I am a diesel convert. The torque in the little engine is impressive, I do some freeway driving in 1.6 Diesel and 3.8 litre petrol. Travelling through hilly terrain, the petrol on cc kicks down to lower gear to climb, even though the engine is more than 2x cubic capacity. In Australia, Diesel fuel is dearer than petrol but worth it IMO.

My next car will be a Diesel, or possibly a Hybrid, Dazz.  :exclaim: :mrgreen:

Diesel engines have an extremely long life, because they burn light oil rather than petrol which is a solvent and causes premature wear.

The main consideration is if you do predominately trips less than 5k's petrol would be better, but longer trips, Diesel wins every time.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I agree with Phil except to add that if you aren't doing relatively high annual mileage, the diesel may not be the best option.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Hmmm, interesting . By city driving I probably do trips that go on for 15 minutes? But in saying that, would it be good to have diesel just in case you do go on those odd long trips? Would it sort of work out to have diesel as a precaution in case you do go on the long trips, but at the same time you're mainly doing 20 minute trips? Or does that not really work?

I do a lot of driving but it's all 15-20 minute sort of driving, does diesel workout better than or not really?

They'd be the same price, 21000, diesel one has less km too..  But no heated seats which I'm willing to give up.

parents are just trying to ensure I get the best out of my hard earned cash haha.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Honestly, with mostly short trips I think you're better with petrol. And buying a diesel for just a few (maybe) longer trips would IMHO be false economy.
Having said that, how come the diesel is the same price with less klms.That doesn't make sense.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal