i30 Owners Club

Australian Election 2013

Ugly Mongrel · 749 · 140369

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
On a serious note, the senate will influence how fast some of the new legislation is passed. That will be a hurdle. But the promise is "cheaper utilities because we we'll abolish the carbon tax, saving the average family $550-00 next year alone, and $3000 over six years". I can't see it happening to be honest but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

:foottap:

• i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
You got that bit right. I've more than my fair share of disappointment over the last six years.
Now it's your turn so enjoy it.  ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Interesting to hear Tony banging on about his "mandate" and telling the"micro party" senators to respect it. He wasn't so sure about Kevin's "mandate" in 2007. :disapp:

http://tonyabbott.com.au/LatestNews/ArticleswrittenbyTony/tabid/87/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/6890/OPPOSITION-TOO-HAS-PROMISES-TO-KEEP.aspx
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I get easily annoyed by any polly'  :mrgreen: talking about mandates.

In a democracy, after the complex preferences have been allocated, someone wins the election. That is not a mandate, it is a responsibiliy of trust placed in the party and should ALWAYS BE VIEWED AS SUCH. Let's face it, the general population do NOT give blanket authority for a PM or party to do what they like. This weekend's vote was a demo of that and 2 PM's during the last 3 years was a demo of that, too. So, Tony, STIFLE YOURSELF :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

In a democracy, after the complex preferences have been allocated, someone wins the election. That is not a mandate, it is a responsibiliy of trust placed in the party and should ALWAYS BE VIEWED AS SUCH. Let's face it, the general population do NOT give blanket authority for a PM or party to do what they like. This weekend's vote was a demo of that and 2 PM's during the last 3 years was a demo of that, too. So, Tony, STIFLE YOURSELF :exclaim:

STIFLE??? You're being too kind, Phil. :D

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
You got that bit right. I've more than my fair share of disappointment over the last six years.
What Dave enjoy more disappointment,because it is coming,someone promises to get rid of the mining tax when he got in as well,I didn't hear the full report today but that won't be happening now till I think it was stated 2015,Hummmm
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Interesting to hear Tony banging on about his "mandate" and telling the"micro party" senators to respect it. He wasn't so sure about Kevin's "mandate" in 2007. :disapp:

http://tonyabbott.com.au/LatestNews/ArticleswrittenbyTony/tabid/87/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/6890/OPPOSITION-TOO-HAS-PROMISES-TO-KEEP.aspx

What mandate did Rudd have in 2007?

I think it's pretty clear that the people have given Abbott mandates on the key policies that the election was fought and won on, judging by the absolute crushing of Labor at the polls.

I don't expect Labor to agree though, but if they choose not to it might be at their own peril as the majority of Australians have clearly had a gutful of them.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Stifle
1. Conceal or hide
2. Smother or suppress
3. Impair the respiration of or obstruct the air passage of
4. Be asphyxiated; die from lack of oxygen

If only.....  :rofl:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

What Dave enjoy more disappointment,because it is coming,someone promises to get rid of the mining tax when he got in as well,I didn't hear the full report today but that won't be happening now till I think it was stated 2015,Hummmm

I'm sure that the Liberal government fully expects Labor supporters to try to pick them to pieces but the reality is this.

Liberal won. Labor lost, so you're all just going to have to live with it.

No amount of nitpicking or sulking is going to change anything. The LNP are in for at least the next three years.
So rather than me needing to get used to it, with all due respect I think it's you Labor supporters who need to suck it up and accept the fact.  ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

I think it's pretty clear that the people have given Abbott mandates on the key policies that the election was fought and won on, judging by the absolute crushing of Labor at the polls.

I don't expect Labor to agree though, but if they choose not to it might be at their own peril as the majority of Australians have clearly had a gutful of them.

Rudd.took the ETS to the 2007 election.
http://results.aec.gov.au/13745/Website/HouseStateFirstPrefsByParty-13745-NAT.htm

How quickly conservatives forget.  :disapp:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:17:12 by Ugly Mongrel »

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Gee, that cut & paste makes lots of sense.

I ask again, what mandates did Rudd have in 2007? On what policies?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I'm sure that the Liberal government fully expects Labor supporters to try to pick them to pieces but the reality is this.

No amount of nitpicking or sulking is going to change anything. The LNP are in for at least the next three years.
So rather than me needing to get used to it, with all due respect I think it's you Labor supporters who need to suck it up and accept the fact.  ;)

I'm sure it won't just be Labor supporters picking them to pieces if they fail to deliver, Dave...  :whistler:

I've accepted the fact that the Libs bullshited their way to power just as I accept that they will screw everyone over eventually....   :winker:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

I can accept it Dave,but your such an easy target,it's so easy to get you going  :lol: yes Labor had this coming for quite some time,I didn't agree with so many things they have done in the past six years,I'm just hoping that this flogging will teach them we're they have gone wrong and hopefully make them a better and stronger party,but again in both cases we're all going to have to just wait and see.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Gee, that cut & paste makes lots of sense.

I ask again, what mandates did Rudd have in 2007? On what policies?

All fixed now, Dave so you can have a look for yourself.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I've accepted the fact that the Libs bullshited their way to power just as I accept that they will screw everyone over eventually....   :winker:

Not so Rusty, that cold ride must have gone to your brain.  :mrgreen

The Libs could have said NOTHING, and still won easily. The Oz public had had a gutful.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

The Libs could have said NOTHING, and still won easily. The Oz public had had a gutful.
And That is the simple fact of it Phil. People were fed up with their Crap

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Which is almost what they did.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Rudd.took the ETS to the 2007 election.
http://results.aec.gov.au/13745/Website/HouseStateFirstPrefsByParty-13745-NAT.htm

How quickly conservatives forget.  :disapp:

I can read the figures but I still don't know what mandates you think the ALP had.
But never mind, it's pretty irrelevant really.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
mandate

Noun
An official order or commission to do something: "a federal mandate".
Verb
Give (someone) authority to act in a certain way: "other colleges have mandated coed fraternities".
Synonyms
order - warrant - commission - command

So far as I can tell the word mandate has no meaning when used in reference to politics.

This is the election the fabled drovers dog could have brought home. However the population is much smarter than we gave them credit for. Had a mandate been provided there would have been a majority in the upper house as well. There is not. There is a duty of care now to deliver what has been promised which is cutting back the wasteful spending and delivering a surplus. I want my $3000 savings over 6 years and all the other stuff that's been promised.

A reminder as to what was promised, in my electorate at least. Cheaper utilities (by canning the pollution tax), better schools (by diverting funds from universities), helping apprentices ($20k interest free loan, wow!), a stronger medicare (reinstate the rebate), stronger community (donations to community organisations). Sounds awesome, I'm hopeful he can put these reforms in place while restoring the deficit, and doing the numerous other things that were offered. 

However, I'm predicting we will see a maneuver from the Can Do playbook. Hold a fake audit, declare things to be much worse that predicted, all bets are off and then go forth with the real agenda whatever that may be. Going to be harder to pull that one off now with the new senate and especially with Clive Palmer's two flunkies in the senate as well. Watch what Clive gets up to, that's going to be hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/v/kRW7pITY5Cg
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 13:05:10 by Aussie Keith »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

My brain was probably the only warm part of me on my cold ride, Phil...  :)

So the Libs didn't bullshit?  :lol:
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/lies-damned-lies-and-australias-future-20130906-2taav.html

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Typical journo, trying to make a name for himself. A smart journo, will hold Abbot to account for all his promises, as it should be.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
I believe that piece was by Mike Carlton. Skewering politicians is his stock in trade.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
So now that the result has been declared do we now close this thread and start a new one titled

Australian post Election Gripes
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Coalition's election victory doesn't mean a mandate to do anything it pleases...

JUST what exactly is this thing we call a "mandate'' beyond being arguably one of the most abused words in the political lexicon?
Is mandate something to do with marriage equality or the electoral equivalent of a mankini (bright Speedo red, of course) except with a man and a ... Actually, let's not go there.

I ask this because to listen to some members of the incoming government, the word seems interchangeable with terms like carte blanche, or perhaps even "open season".

Read more: :link:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
So now that the result has been declared do we now close this thread and start a new one titled

No thanks, I hate locked threads.....  :fum:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

No thanks, I hate locked threads.....  :fum:

Didn't say locked, just close to post comments.

The idea is to start a new thread specifically for gripes.

That way pre and post election comments/discussions etc are kept separate.

As there are 745 posts on this it was just an idea.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
http://www.news.com.au/national-news/federal-election/clive-palmer-closing-in-on-lower-house-seat-latest-aec-count-shows/story-fnho52ip-1226715494455

He's headed for a smackdown, can't wait to see that. For those unfamiliar with this fellow, he is a massive narcissist with small man syndrome. He is continually telling us how rich he is, always in court and never loses a court battle according to him, very much used to getting his own way etc, etc. He's a miner as well so anything green is going to get the thumbs down from him. Democracy is going to be a wakeup call I think. Should be entertaining.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

I agree, shut it down. My intention when staying the thread was to have it run until just after the election.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I agree, shut it down. My intention when staying the thread was to have it run until just after the election.

As you started it, it would only be right that you bring it to a dignified closure

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal