Keith · 188 · 37125

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Eureka

You have bought up so many cases where PPL were killed,but in none of these case,is it explained how any of them where dressed,you even see it these days and back in the days youe talking bicycle safety was not pushed like it is today.

Fair enough drivers should be far more observant of their surroundings,but sadly this does not happen,it is all about education,both for drivers and for cyclists,cyclist in this day and age should have absolutely NO excuse for not being seen,with the price of Hi vis,cycle safety helmets,knee pads,elbow pads,lights,they are so dirt cheap,compared to the cost of your life.

I start early mornings,I drive 125 Klm's to work in the mornings,I am in my truck by 6.30am,so still quite dark at that time,on my drive to work,see a young bloke every morning,on a major Hwy into Perth,pitch black,no helmet,no hi vis,black bycycle,black or very dark hoody and jeans,he pretty well blends into the road,even with spotlights on,once in the truck I see so many cyclists,many helmets hanging over the handle bars,no lights,no hi vis,so yea it is not always(excuse the pun)black and white when someone dies froma cyclist being killed,I don't care how stupid I look,I make sure I stand  out when on my bike,many I see on the roads,simply do not care,but again I stress this is in no way and excuse for a driver to say Oh! it was all their fault,there is always fault on both sides.

Its called education,education and then for good measure some more education on both sides.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Brilliant news Lakes well done you :goodjob2:

:whsaid:

I started using my Strider again (did 4 kms this morning in about 16 minutes)  :goodjob:

That's Daz motivated!  :goodjob2:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I agree Rick (for a change lol) even tho I ride off road I have lights on always, flashing and VERY BRIGHT! I wear
I wear a helmet which also has a flashy led on it and I have a bell!

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I agree Rick (for a change lol) even tho I ride off road I have lights on always, flashing and VERY BRIGHT! I wear
I wear a helmet which also has a flashy led on it and I have a bell!
Personally I wouldn't ride if I was in Perth,but out where I am I am reasonably safe,not a great deal of traffic around,even though I have a MB,I don't like going offroad to much,I hate fixing punctures  :lol: don't think you have Double G's over there,buggers of things
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Brilliant news Lakes well done you :goodjob2:

:whsaid:

I started using my Strider again (did 4 kms this morning in about 16 minutes)  :goodjob:

That's Daz motivated!  :goodjob2:

Plus I was looking at a thing this morning about ways to reduce the risk of Cancer (and as usual regular exercise was on the list)  :-[ :sweating:

With regards to the risks of Cycling .. My Brother chose a red scooter and hi-viz clothing but just in the wrong place at the wrong time :undecided:

We have some real idiots tearing up the rural road to our place, I feel cautious even in my car  :disapp:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Keith, I'm going out this friday and will be doing the wirral section of cycle route 56 from leasowe thro' to parkgate.

Lunch at Parkgate then back to West Kirby along the Wirral Way. 

Then coastal cycle route to Moreton.

On road part will be a couple of miles but this will be on minor roads.

Will have helmet and light coloured clothes on
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Some day I hope to have the same stamina back eye.... So until then  im setting you as my role model. Shame you are so against Strava, i could follow your progress live as it happens on there.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
My Brother chose a red scooter and hi-viz clothing but just in the wrong place at the wrong time :undecided:

You can dress up in the brightest of clothing but it all comes to nought if the bugger driving the other vehicle doesn't bother to look...  :mad:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
My Brother chose a red scooter and hi-viz clothing but just in the wrong place at the wrong time :undecided:

You can dress up in the brightest of clothing but it all comes to nought if the bugger driving the other vehicle doesn't bother to look...  :mad:

Spot on Rusty, too many ignore the Law & txt do make up look at them self in mirror. & then run up the rear of another car or run someone over.

why is it school children, office worker's or anyone that is going to cross a road don't need to wear hy vis too?
i see people in dark cloths walking at night or in morning on side of the road, hard to see too. i have bright flashing tail light bright headlight that can stay on or flash & a flashing small light on helmet.
but when i retired i stopped wearing hy vis . always thought it was insurance companies that forced that on us  . i've never had a close call on the push bike as i use common sense.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Some day I hope to have the same stamina back eye.... So until then  im setting you as my role model. Shame you are so against Strava, i could follow your progress live as it happens on there.

Keith i know how you feel, i think we all puff to some extent. when i do the 16k round trip morning then late afternoon, after a week at that i can really pump the peddles. but have a break for a few days then only do it once a day & its a bit harder. also what you eat & drink makes a big difference to your performance. the cycleway i use is smooth tarmac all the way with arrows & deviding line to show what side what direction to use, shared bicycle pedestrian . i've got Marvic wheels ( strong & light with high pressure tube tyres ( continental punture resistant ) the frame is carbon i ride it on tracks too but am careful. i think important to have strong wheels & tough tyres as a blow out going fast is bad news.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I think my bike is Australian made, it's made by Apollo and the model is a Paradox. It's nicknamed the Landrover of MTB's and weighs in at almost 18kg's! Big fat off-road tyres at only 65psi pressure.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I agree there are some inattentive drivers out there. Hi Viz stuff doesn't make any difference if they're not paying attention.

But at the same time, riders need to accept that they are a relatively small object in a big, fast, noisy world.

And there are two things which make it even more difficult to see them.

The first is the constant moving from light and shadow on the road; it's pretty easy to miss a cyclist for a split second (long enough) in those conditions.

The other is something which is becoming more and more prevalent and that is the reflection off dashboards.
These days, cars have heavily raked windscreens so the dash is elongated to bring controls closer to the driver which leaves a large expanse of semi-shiny vinyl to reflect back onto the windscreen, affecting forward vision.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The other is something which is becoming more and more prevalent and that is the reflection off dashboards.
These days, cars have heavily raked windscreens so the dash is elongated to bring controls closer to the driver which leaves a large expanse of semi-shiny vinyl to reflect back onto the windscreen, affecting forward vision.

Good point Trev (a dash mat seems to help a bit in that regard)  :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Good point Trev (a dash mat seems to help a bit in that regard)  :goodjob:
I find the dash mat doesn't help much. The carpet pattern still reflects onto the windscreen.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
One thing that doesn't help is that many drivers don't have a clue that there are specific road rules for bicycle riders...  :cool:

Rules such as riders being allowed to ride 2 abreast, also being allowed to overtake to the left of vehicles which means they are also allowed to lane split.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Another thing that does not help is the out and out ignorance, arrogance and stupidity of some motorists, particularly the sense of entitlement that they alone should be permitted to use the carriageway. Presumably because of the notions that cyclists don't pay for the roads somehow, that cyclists should be registered and other idiocy.

Here most roads are paid for by councils with major roads paid for by the state and federal governments. For those renting who do not pay rates, or are on benefits thus not paying tax, this twisted logic means that they should not be on the roads either since they aren't paying for them. Turns out the revenue from vehicle registration does not cover much at all in terms of infrastructure. Sense of entitlement fail.

Having been down this road (ahem) myself in the past as a regular commuter cyclist I sincerely regret that stupidity and ignorance cannot be detected at the time drivers apply for their license. This would solve many of the issues on the road right there I think.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Here most roads are paid for by councils with major roads paid for by the state and federal governments. For those renting who do not pay rates, or are on benefits thus not paying tax, this twisted logic means that they should not be on the roads either since they aren't paying for them. Turns out the revenue from vehicle registration does not cover much at all in terms of infrastructure. Sense of entitlement fail.

I think you're being a bit harsh there Keith_H.

People who rent and are / or on benefits still pay tax. All landlords build in the costs of owning the house into the rental fee, after all they're not charities. People on benefits pay tax through GST and fuel excise which no one avoids and those who choose to register their vehicles contribute to Govt revenue, now if the govt chooses to divert this revenue into other areas, that is hardly the beneficiaries fault is it. As members of society, whether you like them or not, they are entitled to be treated just like any other citizen.

Where I live in the hills in particular we have the "Tour Down Under" and for weeks leading up to this event, there are numerous bikes on the road. I don't find it difficult at all to give them their space so they can enjoy riding.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
My point exactly, it's a moronic argument. It's a public facility and everyone should be entitled to use it.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Every now and then, almost like clockwork, here in Melb the subject of rego for bicycles comes up.  I imagine that it would cost more to administer this than the revenue raised and that is why it is not introduced.  But the subject keeps coming up.  Morons.  Many, many cyclists would also have registered cars and by cycling, they are actually reducing traffic congestion for those of us who are too lazy, too stupid or find it impractical to cycle.

Keith -  you mentioned 18 speed bikes. I was reminded of the cyclists I see now and then labouring up hills in a really high gear.  I cannot work out what is going on there.  Use your gears!!!

Hi-visibility gear.   Tonight we passed a couple of commuter cyclists pretty well lit up.  It makes a massive difference to their visibility.

The cyclist who hit and killed the rider near Geelong: the judge or prosecutor thought he was checking his text/phone or whatever.  I would jail drivers who kill cyclists for 5 - 10 years.  The message would get out there.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

21 gears are commonplace now, a good compromise can usually be found between progress and cadence. I think compulsory 3rd part damage insurance would be OK for cyclists as it is easy to cause a lot of damage to a car with a cycle especially in town / city environments.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
My point exactly, it's a moronic argument. It's a public facility and everyone should be entitled to use it.

:rofl: I could see where you were going  :lol:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Keith yes Mine is a 24 spd,I thought it was an eighteen,but on checking it is a 24

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And I whinge about 6 speeds in the newer i30's...  :snigger:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
And I whinge about 6 speeds in the newer i30's...  :snigger:
Believe me when you have a big hill their nice to have,even right down to the Bog Cog

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Keith yes Mine is a 24 spd,I thought it was an eighteen,but on checking it is a 24

21 on my bike.

Tend to use 12 to 18.

Others for the exceptional hill up and down!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
without going down stairs to count, i don't know how many my pushy has, but there is three sprockets on the crank probably 7 or 8 sprockets on the rear wheel hub, sp multiply three by seven or eight. not really important but i use every one of them down here. as the cycleway has some really big steep climbs. in Sydney i used to drive in car to the old Olympic sight and ride all the cycle paths there but never needed to change gear at all there unless you were racing someone.

i never use or share roads with cars at all, all my cycling is on pathways no cars allowed, but will be riding on tracks soon with a group might need a mountain bike but will see how what i have goes first , as have ridden it on tracks no problem.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Every now and then, almost like clockwork, here in Melb the subject of rego for bicycles comes up.  I imagine that it would cost more to administer this than the revenue raised and that is why it is not introduced.  But the subject keeps coming up.  Morons.  Many, many cyclists would also have registered cars and by cycling, they are actually reducing traffic congestion for those of us who are too lazy, too stupid or find it impractical to cycle.

The cyclist who hit and killed the rider near Geelong: the judge or prosecutor thought he was checking his text/phone or whatever.  I would jail drivers who kill cyclists for 5 - 10 years.  The message would get out there.

Interesting item from our news:

A young driver who boasted on Twitter about hitting a cyclist appears in court on Friday. Her tweet enraged cyclists - not just because of its tone, but because she claimed right of way because #bloodycyclists "don't pay road tax".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Keith, I'm going out this friday and will be doing the wirral section of cycle route 56 from leasowe thro' to parkgate.

Lunch at Parkgate then back to West Kirby along the Wirral Way. 

Then coastal cycle route to Moreton.

On road part will be a couple of miles but this will be on minor roads.

Will have helmet and light coloured clothes on

Ok weather was dry, sunny with the odd cloudy bit.

Did the route as above and covered 25 miles.

Left 10.10 and back 15.15

So out for 5 hours but just took time with 3 short stops, 15 minutes, at local beauty spots, thornton hough, thursaston and west kirby, and 1 long stop, 40 minutes, for lunch, chips and drink, at parkgate.

Just 1 question.  Why is it that you seem to go up hill more than down?

Even if i did this trip in reverse i still think there would be more ups than downs!

Next outing penciled in for next thursday, weather permitting, but may squeeze in an afternoon one if the weather is ok.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just 1 question.  Why is it that you seem to go up hill more than down?

Even if i did this trip in reverse i still think there would be more ups than downs!

:snigger: It's just that you notice the ups more than the downs..

I used to ride to work years ago and fortunately most of the up was on the way home (so I didn't raise a sweat riding to work)  :sweating:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

For me it's cos I leave home in one direction (downhill lots initially then up a bit) and I come home the other way, which is up higher than the start of my journey and then down a bit...

That sounds like a good trip out for you! Be a while before I take on a double figure trip as ill have to prepare with some glucose fuel in case I get a sugar crash!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal