i30 Owners Club

Back to riding a bicycle!

Keith · 188 · 37271

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Quite knackering still but after just 3 evening rides of around 15 miles total, I've burned off almost 1000 calories that I would otherwise have stores around my gut! Gonna keep at it using Strava and Cyclemeter to log the journeys.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Quite knackering still but after just 3 evening rides of around 15 miles total, I've burned off almost 1000 calories that I would otherwise have stores around my gut! Gonna keep at it using Strava and Cyclemeter to log the journeys.

Well done  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Thanks Asa, it's much harder than I remember and driving a car makes slopes and hills vanish! :whistler:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Rather you than me. I'm just a really lazy kind of chap  :-[
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Rather you than me. I'm just a really lazy kind of chap  :-[

What he said, me too  :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'll nip down and join you.

I've been doing a bit over the last few months.

Started with a few miles building up to a couple of 12 mile trips and built up to the longest to date last Friday.

30 mile round trip with 1 pub and chippie stop!!!!

Up here there are a lot of off road cycle track and on road cycle marking.

Is this the same where you are?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I think so eye... For sure around Shropshire there's lots of Sectors to ride, do you use Strava or Cyclemeter at all?

I use the Silkin Way which is an old former railway used in the days when the first iron bridge was made, I'm gonna do similar to you, build up to longer rides. I have an off road bike so I can choose where to go, just not so speedy on Tarmac!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=silkin+way&client=safari&hl=en-gb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=t5AKUqSqLbCX0QXl5IGQCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=672#biv=i%7C11%3Bd%7CVivEnIxZOBsn9M%3A

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I'll admit to being instinctively inclined the same way as you guys Steve / Asa.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Do not use any mechanical device to measure distance.

All done the old way by getting a PAPER MAP and using a small distance wheel, sorry don't know correct name, and measuring on scale.

On the Wirral, like you, we have the wirral way which is a disused railway line.
It is 12 miles end to end and done it a few times plus 3.5 from home to one end which equals 30 miles.

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/routeslinkswalks/wirral-way-walking-and-cycle-route

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wirral+way+map&client=tablet-android-samsung&source=android-browser-suggest&hl=en-GB&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=haoKUvShDIeShgfFq4CACg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=600&bih=1024

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Strava and Cyclemeter are both Apps on a Smartphone that track your route via satellite and give you information on the trip elevations, your time, effort and heart rate too if you buy a monitor. You really can track your progress and even share on social media if you want. I used to go to Liverpool a lot for work and always fancied riding the Mersey route.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

One i do alot, as part of it is less than a mile from home, is the coastal route from Seacombe ferry, opposite side from liverpool, along to new brighton to moreton to meols to hoylake to west kirby, start or end depending on where you are of the wirral way.

Phew that was one long sentence!

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

One i do alot, as part of it is less than a mile from home, is the coastal route from Seacombe ferry, opposite side from liverpool, along to new brighton to moreton to meols to hoylake to west kirby, start or end depending on where you are of the wirral way.

:goodjob2: longer than my current bike rides lol!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

:goodjob2: longer than my current bike rides lol!

That ride is 11 miles, give or take a few hundred yards.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Be careful Lester and Keith.. it can be very risky riding on the roads  :sweating: (not so bad if you have lots of dedicated bike tracks)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Too right Daz, thats why I got a full suspension trail bike with disc brakes! I don't like road cycling.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Try to miss busy roads.

Bought a helmet but doubt whether it would give that much protection if hit full on by a car, lorry or bus.

Since i took up riding i didn't realise how close vehicles get to you when they pass.

It is the holes which are a foot out from the kerb which are are killers for cyclist as your instinct is to miss them and more often move out towards the centre of the road.

Now when i'm in the car, when passing bikes i give them more space.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Unfortunately, every year in Tassie cyclists are killed or badly injured.. I've personally known at least two that were killed (one after he moved to Queensland) and another who sustained horrific injuries.. I used to like cycling (but that put me off)  :sweating:

Plus recently my Brother on his scooter  :'(

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Good for you Keith ! i get out on my bicycle a lot to, there is a cycleway to use just across street , so ride up coast on cycleway 8k to visit a friend 8k back lot of good size hill's to go up too. love it

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Unfortunately, every year in Tassie cyclists are killed or badly injured.. I've personally known at least two that were killed (one after he moved to Queensland) and another who sustained horrific injuries.. I used to like cycling (but that put me off)  :sweating:

come on Dazz get with it, or you'll have a heart attack how many Tasmanian's die from those.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

come on Dazz get with it, or you'll have a heart attack how many Tasmanian's die from those.

I have an elliptical strider in my office  :P Would do me the world of good if I used it..  :Pout:

We have cycle tracks here in Devonport (but none are conveniently located for us)  :confused:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I used to like cycling (but that put me off)  :sweating:

That's because you needed to use your feet to make the wheels go round and not the turn of a key...... :snigger:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I used to like cycling (but that put me off)  :sweating:

That's because you needed to use your feet to make the wheels go round and not the turn of a key...... :snigger:
I like the low impact exercise, but not the high impact of being hit by a car... :P

Online Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
I believe the Brits are much less ignorant than Aussie motorists when it comes to cyclists. Apart from this moron:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/right-click/police-nab-woman-hitting-cyclist-reading-her-tweets-212329405.html
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Interesting article from Nov 2012 involving 2 very high profile Pro cyclists in road accidents ON THE SAME DAY but in different locations. Aussies may be  familiar with the name Shane Sutton....http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9665327/Bruising-crashes-highlight-a-bigger-issue.html

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Bicycles are a terrific way to get around but yes, it can be very, very dangerous.  Recently in the paper here there was a young driver in court after he hit and killed a rider a couple of years ago near Geelong.  Country road, nice day, he claimed that there was a cloud of dust obscuring his vision.  Crap.

Several years ago I was driving near the top of Hoddle St in Clifton Hill, road was blocked, had to detour; months later there was a story in The Age about a young bloke killed when the driver 'didn't see him".   It was a brilliant summer day.

Another young bloke killed in Glenferrie Rd, Hawthorn when a car door opened on him, hit door, fell into the path of a truck.

A 30-something lady (pregnant) killed in Swanston St Melbourne several years ago when - it seems - her wheel/s got stuck in the tram tracks, she fell, was hit by a bus.

I reckon you could set out to kill a cyclist in your car and get away with it, even after being charged. 

Actually, ten or so years ago an uncle, riding his bike, was hit by a car up in Qld.  He and his wife used to go up there every winter.  He was recovering back in Vic when he had a blood clot .....  Many, many years ago, early one morning - I believe it was still dark - he hit a cyclist, who died. My memory is that the cyclist did not have lights.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:38:12 by Eureka »
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I have an elliptical strider in my office  :P Would do me the world of good if I used it..  :Pout:

We have cycle tracks here in Devonport (but none are conveniently located for us)  :confused:

I can understand what you mean Dazz, i feel very fortunate as when i lived in Sydney i had to drive 10K to cycle way did not like putting bicycle in the i30. i won't ride on the street & share with cars. in Sydney most drivers are considerate to BICYCLES but down here it don't look that way, but not much traffic down here.
i was rewarded with my effort as had blood tests this past week after seeing in here people finding they had diabetes , so was tested for that cholesterol prostrate & the rest, went to my doc yesterday he had results all came out very good he said well done as had improved a lot over the parst test. and i put it down to bicycling.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Brilliant news Lakes well done you :goodjob2:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Bicycles are a terrific way to get around but yes, it can be very, very dangerous.  Recently in the paper here there was a young driver in court after he hit and killed a rider a couple of years ago near Geelong.  Country road, nice day, he claimed that there was a cloud of dust obscuring his vision.  Crap.

Several years ago I was driving near the top of Hoddle St in Clifton Hill, road was blocked, had to detour; months later there was a story in The Age about a young bloke killed when the driver 'didn't see him".   It was a brilliant summer day.

Another young bloke killed in Glenferrie Rd, Hawthorn when a car door opened on him, hit door, fell into the path of a truck.

A 30-something lady (pregnant) killed in Swanston St Melbourne several years ago when - it seems - her wheel/s got stuck in the tram tracks, she fell, was hit by a bus.

I reckon you could set out to kill a cyclist in your car and get away with it, even after being charged. 

Actually, ten or so years ago an uncle, riding his bike, was hit by a car up in Qld.  He and his wife used to go up there every winter.  He was recovering back in Vic when he had a blood clot .....  Many, many years ago, early one morning - I believe it was still dark - he hit a cyclist, who died. My memory is that the cyclist did not have lights.

your not safe in cars rather look how many die each year on the road's.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Brilliant news Lakes well done you :goodjob2:

:whsaid:

I started using my Strider again (did 4 kms this morning in about 16 minutes)  :goodjob:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Yes it's all quite enjoyable as well,sadly I let my recent comeback to riding lasp in the past several weeks due to not travelling to well(plus the bloody cold and wet weather,plus late finishes) and getting down in the dumps with a diagnosis which has now been confirmed,but this weekend back to it,I use my Satnav,gives me all the stats I need,but like Dazz said be careful theres some real idiots out there,who are not bike wise,either cycle or motor,but again it is something I do enjoy.

Do you have an 18speed,they make the hills a lot easier,not shorter but easier  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal