Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Best: 5,2 lit / 100km (1 tank)
Worst: 6,1 lit / 100 km (1 tank)

Current: 5,9 lit/100 km. I drive mostly highways at approx 140-160 kmh.. But I just love the fuel consumption when i drive on the roads, where the average speed is around 80-90 kmh  8)

ouri30
1.6 CRDi SLX (stock standard)

Best has been 4.1 lph when I got 1402km from a tank.  Manual calculations indicated 4.13 lph.

The worst I have gotten from a tank was 5.4 lph driving it aggressively for a good deal of the time but without breaking speed limits.

Bob

Offline Zombie

• 2nd Gear

• 1.6 CRDi (84.6 kW) Comfort, Finland
This is the best I can do under winter conditions with moderate amount of city driving.

Probably I could get additional ~250-300 km from this tank under favorable conditions.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I would say 250k easy, but can't judge off a fuel gauge, have you got a trip PC?

Offline Zombie

• 2nd Gear

I would say 250k easy, but can't judge off a fuel gauge, have you got a trip PC?

I don't have a separate trip computer, but I'm drooling after Scangauge II :)

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I'm hovering around 6.2-6.4L/100km's at the moment, havnt really attempted a full tank till the end, i just fill it back up if i see cheap diesel going at a large (shell/bp) servo :)  (and i love boost !)

The engine is just past the 1550km mark at the moment so its quite tight still and the car is used mainly around the city and would be lucky to see a 70km/h road, some days of droping my daughter off at childcare we drive through the city to the other side, then back through the city to get to work, then the same on the way home from work into the city and back through it again, seeing an average speed vary of around the 28-30km/h mark on the trip computer some 400km's into this tank.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm hovering around 6.2-6.4L/100km's at the moment, havnt really attempted a full tank till the end, i just fill it back up if i see cheap diesel going at a large (shell/bp) servo :)  (and i love boost !)

The engine is just past the 1550km mark at the moment so its quite tight still and the car is used mainly around the city and would be lucky to see a 70km/h road, some days of droping my daughter off at childcare we drive through the city to the other side, then back through the city to get to work, then the same on the way home from work into the city and back through it again, seeing an average speed vary of around the 28-30km/h mark on the trip computer some 400km's into this tank.

We are lucky down here! Apart from my approx 7km trip to work and 7km trip home 4 days a week and my couple of trips to my block each day (which is also about 14km return)... with reasonable traffic flow 40kph or faster...Most of my other trips are on highways and are 30kms or more at 90kph or higher.

But on the downside because of lots of hills in Tassie seldom average better than 5.4 for long  :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Zombie

• 2nd Gear

This is the best I can do under winter conditions with moderate amount of city driving.

Probably I could get additional ~250-300 km from this tank under favorable conditions.

I filled the tank after 1123 km because I found cheap diesel (it turned out to be the cheapest in the whole country, 0.859 €/l). The DTE had just went to ---. I could have done some 50-70 km more. The car showed 5.0 l/100 km, calculated consumption was 5.076 l/100 km.

I'm very satisfied, in the summer I'm going to improve those numbers. Winter (arctic) conditions increase consumption a lot (cold starts, PTC-heater usage, long after-glowing times etc.), also the winter-quality diesel adds about 2 % (it is lighter) and probably the winter tires increase the consumption too.

lindlake
just got back from sydney 14lt for 100km towing a hire tralier 8x5 fully loaded doing about 110 km   only 400 km to the tank :lol:

ouri30
just got back from sydney 14lt for 100km towing a hire tralier 8x5 fully loaded doing about 110 km   only 400 km to the tank :lol:

Hey Lakes,

Mystery solved - perhaps?

Bob

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
hi Lindlake is your car Blue?
i tow a 8x5 with my v8 ute get better economy than that doing those speeds, can tow 2300kg.
did you have trailer tyres blown up max pressure? but 110kph would be useing every horse the i30 has, if it was you i saw you were heading towards some good size mountains.
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i tow a 8x5 with my v8 ute get better economy than that doing those speeds, can tow 2300kg.
did you have trailer tyres blown up max pressure? but 110kph would be useing every horse the i30 has, if it was you i saw you were heading towards some good size mountains.
cheers

I believe our friend was using an Auto CRDi.. to boot.. :cool:

lindlake
cheers

I believe our friend was using an Auto CRDi.. to boot.. :cool:
yes it is  blue and we went to the blue montains on the way home yes it is a auto i had the tyres up to max air preesure and the car to 35 psi

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thats the car i saw, Asome for a car that size, and useing that road, i think the auto would be good as torque converter would help mulitply torque. get your auto serviced on time to be safe.
how did the brakes handle the job? and could you feel the load a lot?
cheers

ouri30
Thats the car i saw, Asome for a car that size, and useing that road, i think the auto would be good as torque converter would help mulitply torque. get your auto serviced on time to be safe.
how did the brakes handle the job? and could you feel the load a lot?
cheers

Lakes,

Had a feeling it was lindlake's car (and trailer) you saw.  Interesting how members see each other from time to time and we make the connection.

Bob

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
How does the little '30 go towing? I looked into a camper trailer today that weighs about 300kg, and would fit beautifully behind Wiggy :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

How does the little '30 go towing? I looked into a camper trailer today that weighs about 300kg, and would fit beautifully behind Wiggy :)

You've got a manual diesel.. so should be a "piece of cake" !

lindlake
very good towing about 500 kg but hard on fuel when doing 110 km to 120 km i do not worry about how much fuel i go thru i get free fuel :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey free fuel!! thats the way , just i have a fleet card with company cars and trucks but still hate to stop to refuel.
with towing it is more how strong the tow bar is and how strong the part of the car it is mounted too is, as does not matter how well the motor pulls it if the tow bar breaks away from the car. also too much weight could be risky with front wheel drive? then you have aditional wear and tear on brakes and clutch and tyres, need to keep tyres inflated higher or use tyres designed for heavier weight. less fun on a trip, for short trips to do odd jobs ok but long trips not suitable. i could tow 800kg with my V8 ute and get 12L/100k driving 110 / 120 hills don't effect it that much, and could get from 10L/100 to 11L/100k going easy at 90kph the ute can pull that @ 1,500rev easy. but city driving is what kills economy on a V8 and the little i30 CRDi is good at economy in the city

Offline Nev75

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, South Australia
I notice that some of you are paying $1.80 / litre! Wow.  It's about $1.23 here in SA.

I'm still on my first tank, almost through it ...  averaging about 6.5l/100 with my CRDi SLX auto diesel. That's a mix of city and freeway driving, without using any tricks mentioned in this forum, such as keeping it in neutral at traffic lights, or the torque converter one (which I don't fully get yet).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Nev.. You got to be happy with 6.5 for your first tank...Well done..   

Tassie is usually a bit dearer than other mainland states but sitting around mid twenties (unleaded and diesel at the moment) :D

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Well, I managed a long run today.  Newc to Tuggerah on the freeway, then Tuggerah to Newc along the coast.

I was surprised that the high(ish) constant 110kph speed freeway run chews a lot more fuel than the mixed urban / suburban 50 - 80kph runs.
On the freeway the 'puter was showing 5.3 p/hkm...  by the time I got home (through the city / towns) it was down to 4.9. (It was better in traffic! How does that work?)
i think this proves the CRDi really does need a 6th gear for the long hauls.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i think this proves the CRDi really does need a 6th gear for the long hauls.

It could certainly pull a higher top gear on the highway..

Offline pixsta

• 1st Gear
Most of the presented fuel values are really good.
I am a bit disappointed from my first measurements from my 90PS engine (appr. 960km driven in total):
First tank: 5.9 litres (boardcomputer) vs. 6.5 litres measured "by hand" (I don't know which value is more trustable...). Mostly city traffic with many stops, 40% highways with speeds 130-170km/h.

Yesterday I went for a quick drive, speeds around 160-170km/h, with clima automatic, almost whole time in 6th gear and the avg. fuel consumption was 6.9-7.0 litres  :eek:.

Offline murrayhewitt

• 2nd Gear
170km/h and good fuel economy are pretty much mutually exclusive.. i reckon they are pretty good figures for that speed, though.

Offline pixsta

• 1st Gear
170km/h and good fuel economy are pretty much mutually exclusive.. i reckon they are pretty good figures for that speed, though.

yeah, they are ok, but my Skoda Octavia (~same specs as the i30) needs 1.5l less at those speeds. But perhaps my car just needs some more km.

Offline murrayhewitt

• 2nd Gear
that's pretty nuts, then.. 5.5L/100km at 170km/h with the aircon on.. you sure you're not taking the chairlift back up?

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
My car has now 7931 km on the odo.
557 Liter Diesel.
= 7.0L/100km

Best = 5.9L/100km
Worst = 8.8L/100km

Measured figures and a heavy foot.