i30 Owners Club

Best & Worst Fuel Consumption Poll

i30Dave · 370 · 88663

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
The trip yesterday (Nowra to Canberra and then Cotter Dam and back to Nowra) was around 550km's all up.
On the way down I went through Kangaroo Valley + Cambewarra Mountain and onto the Hume. Then down the Federal Highway and went round in circles for a while trying to find my bearings in Canberra. (even the GPS was getting confused)
:lol:

On the way back we went on the Kings Highway, down + up Clyde Mountain and via Batemans Bay and onto the Princes Highway.

Atleast half of that (and probably more) was mountain and very hilly/windy roads and city driving in traffic. I averaged 5.8L /100km.
I have 606km's on the trip with a range of 212km's to go.

All in all very happy with how the car went. Considering for most of the trip there were 3 people with luggage and air on.
:)

The longest trip the i30 has had yet and I can already feel that it has loosened up a little.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Looking good for 1500 Thumper :biggrin:
That said, I tend to get a lot more from the first half of the tank because I over fill it. Still, I for one would be backing you in. :biggrin:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Hope so!  :razz:

That's why I let you go at the bridge, otherwise I would have held you up going back up the hills into Canberra.

Funny thing, the wife asked, when you overtook "Is that a diesel as well?" "Yes, all of the i30's at the BBQ were diesels, why?" "Oh, cause it doesn't sound anything like a diesel. I mean, there is no note from the back, where ours has a note."

I just chuckled. Wife now listens out for exhaust notes!  :lol:

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Hope so!  :razz:

That's why I let you go at the bridge, otherwise I would have held you up going back up the hills into Canberra.

Funny thing, the wife asked, when you overtook "Is that a diesel as well?" "Yes, all of the i30's at the BBQ were diesels, why?" "Oh, cause it doesn't sound anything like a diesel. I mean, there is no note from the back, where ours has a note."

I just chuckled. Wife now listens out for exhaust notes!  :lol:

Hehe...
Cotter Road is a nice drive. I had some fun going back
:lol:

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
You right Cam, some nice hair pins 8) You always See a lot of road bikes on that stretch of road. I don't ride myself, but am assured its great on a motorbike.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Impressive Thumper, just that type of proof is open to abuse. like i could have that many k's on my trip read out and go and add 20liters or so and take a pick of where the needle is on fuel gauge like you have done.
once a few years back a young friend of mine that built race motors and raced 250cc super Karts ( those Go Karts that use 250 GP bike motors & gearbox's & have unreal handling and performance) he was living in GB Working for 4 years, came back at Christmas was talking about a four cylinder turbo company car he had over GB and he had to drive to Germany a lot, he had a picture of the speedo reading 150mph ( about 240KPH) I said for all i knew he could have had the car up on a hoist and in top gear with motor runing and just put his foot on throtle and took a pic of the speedo. that is possible too.
i'm only stating this so people that don't understand what is possible, get a different view.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

3.8L/100km x60L tank = 1579km. Other than the economy rating, there's no real way to prove anything, but we'll (well, I will) take his word for it.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Lakes, don't get me wrong, but yes, it's entirely possible, and probable that someone can 'fluff' the figures.

I have nothing to gain by doing this, yet everything to loose.

Why would I wreck my reputation on here by doing that?  :eek:

I'm more than happy to go on the next official economy run that is held in Australia, with the tank sealed off, and noted.

Heck, every vehicle I have owned, I've bettered the economy figures by at least 2-4 lt/100km (The V6 auto Camry I have is currently sitting on 9.2lt/100km. The Trajet's I owned both could attain 900km per tank. (Both auto V6 vans)

Though squeezing an extra 1lt/100km out of the i30 seems like no big deal, that is until you realise it's close to 22% gain in economy!  :razz: :razz:

Offline GURKHA17

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin

• Darwin,NT, Australia
Are u serious??? I don't even get to around 600 properly for half a tank damn.. :), yes mine is a diesel. I'm averaging around 5.5 lt/100km, this is the best I've ever got. Before I used to average 5.8. But I have my aircon all the time. Makes a difference doesn't it? Oh and hope you get u'r 1500

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thumper, I don't think that the trip computer is that wrong. Here me out. Your tank is showing half full. Its a 53 litre tank so lets say that there is 26.5 litres in the tank. That means you have used 26.5 litres of fuel. But, you and I , and many other on the site know that you can fit a lot more than 53 litres in the tank. I have managed to put up to 60 litres in the tank, and there was still some in reserve. I reckon thats its possible to squeeze 62 litres in the i30 tank. Using this logic, you have used an additional 9 litre on top of the 26.5, so in actuality, you have used 35.5 litres of diesel. So dividing 928 by 35.5 gives you 26.1 kilometres per litre. Divide 100 by 26.1, and guess what, you get 3.8LP/100k. 
So if you still have 26.5 litres in the tank, you should be good to go another 691klm. I think the 1500klm mark is in real danger

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Thumper thats great m8, seems what you have done is working, and you are right about 1 liter better economy does not seem like much till you allow your only useing just over 3 per 100k, then it becomes outstanding.
cheers

Offline warshell98

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah

• SLX Steel grey, manual, spoiler, tint, rust/paint
Good morning all, I think I may have one for the worst consumption. Have had the car now for 10days od so and the best weve been able to achieve is 6.9lt/100 and with that strong smell of fuel continueing to be a problem. Must be a wrong parameter in the ECU I think, anyway back at home on Saturday, will book into dealer and see what they've got to say. :'(
Not really the start we were looking for.

Cheers all

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Warshell, I don't know if that's 6.9 from the first second you sat down in the car from the dealership, but can I suggest you now reset the trip computer and start checking fuel consumption again?

Secondly, about the smell of fuel throughout your cabin - try vacuuming all the carpets, putting an air freshener in the car for a couple of days, and then remove it and see if the smell comes back. It could be that some bozo dropped fuel on the fabric inside the car, and that sort of smell hangs around for days, but it shouldn't come back after vacuuming/air-freshing. It could also be a leak underneath the cabin of your car, so the smell is drifting up into the cabin, and that could mean higher fuel consumption figures too. This is something the dealership will have to look into.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Is it diesel exhaust smell? Or unburnt raw fuel smell?

Offline warshell98

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah

It was 10ltrs when we first picked the car up, the smell is outside the car as well. Michelle filled the car yesterday 25ltrs went in for 263km. :evil:

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

reset the trip computer and see how far you get per the consumption meter the car comes with - and get your mechanic to see if he can see any leaks. 10 days and you shouldn't smell anything outside because the wind will blow away any lingering smells, so the smell may be fresh fuel leaking. Hard to pinpoint a problem when you can't see it though :P

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Just got back from a trip to Wollongong.
I've got 250km's on the trip, averaging 5.8L/100km

The fuel needle has just come off the full mark (only slightly)
So I'm pretty happy.

I took a lot longer to fill it this time, I cant remember how many clicks I had...lol
But I'm getting used to it frothing up now
:)

Offline warshell98

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah

Will have a look on Sat and see whats going on, and a call to the dealer. It does smell like raw fuel but no apparent leaks, unfortunatly can not check only
in the car for a day then off to work for 2 weeks. :mad: There has though, for that much fuel and smell got to be a leak somewere or a combination of
the two ( leak and ECU ),
will have a clearer picture on the weekend.
Cheers
Warwick

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good luck Warwick... Sorry to hear you have these issues hopefully the dealer will sort them quickly. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Running for 600km now, BOG STOCK STANDARD, also running with peak hour traffic up to and when overtaking semi's, the legal limit. (Have used 100% throttle several times for longish periods)  :cool:

Currently sitting on 5.1lt/100km.

This is not driving slowly, mind you and I have the air-con on!

(Though gawd what a pig to drive without the Tuningbox!)  :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
.. and there was you saying you'd NEVER remove the tuningbox  :mrgreen:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I just wanted to see the difference, and now that I had gotten used to that LOVELY extra 'grunt', I now miss it! (i30's should go like that from the factory! Hell yeah!)  :twisted:

Though the 'other half' found out what the Torque booster actually does! (In 1st and 2nd gear. I'll be needing new front tyres soon!)  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
After driving to and from work all week, I had to go down to Melbourne. So with 3/4 of a tank, off I went, at the legal speed limit, keeping up with trucks and cars, air-con on all the way.

Still sitting on 5.1lt/100km (With generous use of the accelerator most of the time)

I dunno how most of you use more fuel!   :razz:

Yes, bog stock.......

Lights are very useful driving late at night.  :cool:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Ok, back from Melbourne, so interesting notes.

5.1lt per 100km for the trip down, stock standard. Sitting on 110km an hour in the 110 zones.

On the way back, filed up before I left Melbourne ($1.309 thank you!)  :razz:

Fitted the Tuningbox with the proper economy settings this time.

Currently sitting on 3.4lt per 100km with under quarter of a tank used. (Max speed was 100km an hour in 110km zones. Rest of the time, at the speed limits)

So from Melbourne to Canberra using less than quarter of a tank of fuel.

The TuningBox makes a substantial difference to a stock vehicle in regards to economy.

Knocking off 10km an hour would not equate to 1.7lt per 100km!

Offline warshell98

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah

Good one thumper, spoke to the dealer on the weekend, they think I should allow more of a run in period. Have done around 1500k's now and just made it down to 6.1lt. It is slowly coming down, will see how we go over the 1500 or so? :'(

Cheers

ouri30
Good one thumper, spoke to the dealer on the weekend, they think I should allow more of a run in period. Have done around 1500k's now and just made it down to 6.1lt. It is slowly coming down, will see how we go over the 1500 or so? :'(

Cheers

Warshell98,

I'm just interested in some information about your fuel economy.  I saw your post on another thread.  Have you reset the fuel economysince picking up your i30.  If you haven't, I can understand why you have only seen it drop slowly over the first 1500km.  Without a reset, the fuel economy is calculated on all fuel used divided by the number of 100km (in your case 15) that you have travelled.  AS you travel further, the variation in fuel economy slows down.

However, if you reset the fuel economy (say after a refill), then you will see the fuel consumption you are getting independant of the previous fuel used.  This will give you a better indication of what you are getting at the moment.

Bob

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I've done 4400km now in mine.

Currently the best I've gotten from the tank was 5.6l/100km and that was 2 tanks ago, filled up last night and it said for the tank I'd done 6.1! However both figures were in the 900km range both with low DTE and Low fuel light on.

I reset the meter evry time I fill up.

I'm still trying for that 1000km to a tank, closest so far has been 967km DTE just started flashing and low fuel light on for about 35km.

Maybe I'm just being to generous with the noise pedal?

Regards

Daniel

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Well I have 30,000km on my engine now, and no matter how hard I push it, will return over 1,000km per tank, every time.

As for the DTE. once it starts flashing, I can do over 300km. Low fuel light, easily get 150km extra.

This is if you've filled to the brim  :exclaim:

ouri30
Well I have 30,000km on my engine now, and no matter how hard I push it, will return over 1,000km per tank, every time.

As for the DTE. once it starts flashing, I can do over 300km. Low fuel light, easily get 150km extra.

This is if you've filled to the brim  :exclaim:

I have to agree with Thumper.  We can easily get 1000km on a tank, regardless of how we drive.  If the tank is full to the brim and we drive at speed limits without being agressive, 1200km is always on the money.

However, I can't confirm Thumper's experience with the DTE flashing and getting 300km after that.  Firstly, the low fuel warning comes on with about 80-115km DTE (varies depending on how we have driving), then the DTE starts flashing _ _ _ at around 50km to go.  I have never pushed it for more than the 50km as the uage is below the empty mark after 50km.

Bob

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal