• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
look at the date on the post it was in 2007

that's how the oil company's do it, when it was $1.11 we did not think that was cheap at all :lol:  now? cheapest i've seen it here in Syd is about $1.45.9 with E10 @ $1.19.9 ( NO DISCOUNT )

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
It was a $1.719/lt when I took that picture. (Was from a cruddy camera on my phone)

When I reduced the size of the picture for here, it lost some detail, and clarity.

Offline CRM114

• 2nd Gear
Thank you Thumper and Cameroony for taking an interest.

Yes I have followed intently all the fuel economy discussions with growing interest.

I have used the recommended driving style - short change and using the torque - usually less than 2500 rpm in all gears, more like 2k.

I do do short trips (less than 10kms work commute) so its probably not getting to temp until I arrive  :)

What bugs me is that the Cit, with a similar engine, is doing better (though not fantastic either - 6l/100) My wife and I use either cars indiscriminantly, and her driving requirements are similar also.

Perhaps the petrol would have been the wiser choice here...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "CRM114"
Thank you Thumper and Cameroony for taking an interest.

Yes I have followed intently all the fuel economy discussions with growing interest.

I have used the recommended driving style - short change and using the torque - usually less than 2500 rpm in all gears, more like 2k.

I do do short trips (less than 10kms work commute) so its probably not getting to temp until I arrive  :)

What bugs me is that the Cit, with a similar engine, is doing better (though not fantastic either - 6l/100) My wife and I use either cars indiscriminantly, and her driving requirements are similar also.

Perhaps the petrol would have been the wiser choice here...

Is the Cit new too with same amout of k's?
i saw new Cit's advertised 1.6 turbo diesel man, C4 drive away @ $25,900 wow thought they would cost a lot more?
are they nicer to drive too? i like the look of the Cit.

Offline CRM114

• 2nd Gear
Hi Lakes,

I was asked the same question in reverse on the French car BB.

This is what I said:

First I would suggest comparing apples with apples. I wasn't comparing the i30 with the C4 at the time I bought the i30.

My i30 is the 'povo' pack, ie base model diesel, whilst the C4 is the reasonably up-specked 'special' they had last year - EGS, ABS, ESP, alloys, cruise, trip computer, speed limiter, and portable gps thrown in. I added the glass roof as well.

In comparison the Hyundai SX has NONE of these things (well ..ABS) - but it was $10,000 cheaper.

However I understand the SLX in the near future will get the cruise control on the diesel (like the petrol). In that guise it also has the climate control and the trip computer, and ESP, and more air bags and etc. But then it costs nearly as much as the C4 with the same spec, yet is only 4 stars encap (apparently just misses out on the 5 stars).

Anyway, I did a lot of research at the time I was looking at the Hyundai, (actually I was looking for a cheap second car, that had to be diesel) so I'll let you know what I found out.

The Hyundai is oustanding value for an entry level diesel, bar none. (The C3 did not come close - too small- and the Polo is a prententious pretender - only the Fiat was a close run thing, mainly on looks).

The 1.6 CRDI is revelation after driving the 1.6 Hdi

Now it's not marked in terms of differences, but the Hyundai is smoother into boost, revs slightly more easily (more like a petrol) and is slighltly torquier (if that's a word). Overall it feels a bit like 'rocket' compared to the PSA donk.

Whilst the SX is very well finished (interior is very Golf-like) and the doors shut with a Germanic 'thud', it is noisier (road noise, especially wet roads) and a bit more 'choppy' in the ride.

I can't comment on differences with a manual C4, as mine is EGS. That alone makes any real comparison very diffficult, as the C4 is then in a league of its own in terms of driving style and experience.

My C4 is a much more up-market spec and that also makes the comparaison tricky, with a bevy of 'creature comforts' that also change the driving experience - automatic headlights, wipers, speed limiter, follow me headlights, etc. that just puts you in a different mood when driving the Cit.

The main difference though, is that the C4 is a great looking car, very distinctive and elegant styling, quite a 'smart' looking vehicle, some might say.

Whist the i30 is not ugly...

So, now, at $26K the Cit, even manual without the glass roof, is outstanding value. But I've never driven a manual C4.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
I sooooooo wanted a C4 - that was top of my list, but I couldnt justify spend $32k for the automated manual diesel. Utterly gorgeous car! Good thing I now have the i30, as at the price for the manual on the web site, I would have had a new choice!

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
So far I am sitting on 6.0lt/100km, and will be needing some new tyres on the front. (Having traction issues into 3rd gear)

If that's the worst I can get, then I'm going to be more than surprised when I do an economy run with what's been done.

Have to beat 1400km per tank. *Glares at ouri30, chuckling*

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
hi again CRM114, thanks for your thoughts, the Cit is a class act for sure! is the EGS trans something like what VW use? like the VW auto is not a true auto and can achive almost man fuel economy and they use clutchs and not Torque converter, think they call it DSG.
for the time being the i30 is working fine for my needs, and is cheap to own and run, seems reliable too. so i'll stick with it but the Cit is nicer to look at! and i'm sure would have an unmatched ride quality if it is like other cit's.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Quote from: "Lakes"
is the EGS trans something like what VW use? like the VW auto is not a true auto and can achive almost man fuel economy and they use clutchs and not Torque converter, think they call it DSG.

The EGS is a robotic manual - the clutch is handled by the computer on-board. Not as quick or as smooth as a VW, and strangely enough was smoother in manual than left in auto

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "ozsnowman"
Quote from: "Lakes"
is the EGS trans something like what VW use? like the VW auto is not a true auto and can achive almost man fuel economy and they use clutchs and not Torque converter, think they call it DSG.

The EGS is a robotic manual - the clutch is handled by the computer on-board. Not as quick or as smooth as a VW, and strangely enough was smoother in manual than left in auto

Thanks Ozsnowman, i had to drive an Auto Diesel MB Sprinter Van from a repair shop for a friend, that was a strange auto too, i did not like the way it shifted with a thud, would also roll back on a hill if you did not use brake.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Right, lets get this back on topic, shall we?  :police:

Constant for the last 600km. (That's 4.0lt/100km) And driving at the posted speed limit.

This is after fitting some electronics to the vehicle. (By the way, you'll be amazed at what can be done to the power outputs of these little diesels. Traction issues in the first three gears. *Grins*)

Tomorrow, the entire exhaust is going to be changed (Including a custom made dump pipe directly from the turbo)

I'm chasing the ultimate economy!  :D

ouri30
I'm with you Thumper.  Same fuel consumption, not additions to the vehicle re electronics, exaust or anything else.  Stock standard.  I've done over 600km and have 4.0 l /100km at the moment.  I'm well on target to achieve 1400km on a tank early next week.

Bob

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I'm with you Thumper.  Same fuel consumption, not additions to the vehicle re electronics, exaust or anything else.  Stock standard.  I've done over 600km and have 4.0 l /100km at the moment.  I'm well on target to achieve 1400km on a tank early next week.

Bob

Did you know that at 1400km/tank you could travel the complete width of Australia at it's widest points in less than 3 tanks? That's freakishly insane.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
That's including Sydney peak out city traffic (Not just highway cruising)  :)

Also running at the posted speed limits (Up to 110km/h on the open roads)

Keeping up with normal traffic, plenty of red lights and stop signs. Just normal everyday driving.

I will be doing an economy run soon, to see how much further I can reduce the consumption.

ouri30
That's including Sydney peak out city traffic (Not just highway cruising)  :)

Also running at the posted speed limits (Up to 110km/h on the open roads)

Keeping up with normal traffic, plenty of red lights and stop signs. Just normal everyday driving.

I will be doing an economy run soon, to see how much further I can reduce the consumption.

Thumper,

Out where I live, I am the normal traffic, so I guess I am keeping up with it.  :laugh:

Currently I have travelled 801km and the guage is about 5/8.  The trip computer says I have 553km to empty, so Iam hopeful of making the 1400km

Bob

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thumper, Bob,
Hans should watch out, he has some competition with you Two :lol:
Maybe it should be you guys over in New Zealand competing in that fuel efficiency rally :lol:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I wish, though haven't got any spare time, right at this moment.  :mrgreen:

Offline davet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

• Rides: i30 crdi SLX white
Constant for the last 600km. (That's 4.0lt/100km) And driving at the posted speed limit.

This is after fitting some electronics to the vehicle.

Sorry if you've already said this somewhere but what electronics (same tuningbox as shambles??), and how much difference in economy (compared to the free flowing exhaust)?

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT

This is after fitting some electronics to the vehicle.

Sorry if you've already said this somewhere but what electronics (same tuningbox as shambles??), and how much difference in economy (compared to the free flowing exhaust)?

I have fitted a Autotechnik Programmable MICI CR Tuningbox to my i30 CRDi. (It has the economy maps installed) http://autotechnik-saretz.de/

Costs just a little bit more than the one Shambles has fitted, but allows you to specify allot more parameters (Like more torque, lower down the RPM range)

I have just finished testing with the straight through exhaust (No mufflers) now will do a full tank with the stock exhaust system.

Yes, it does make a difference to your economy.  :twisted:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
700km, average was 3.5lt/100km, but got caught in peak hour traffic in Sydney yesterday afternoon. (M5 was a carpark, all the way into the city)

Now sitting on 3.7lt/100km due to the very heavy peak hour traffic.  :mad:

So, drive from Canberra to outside Yass, then up to Sydney, back down to outside Yass, only used just under 1/4 of a tank.  8)

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

wait - 3.7 x 7 = 25.9L - that would be about 2/5 of a tank... 1/4 on your LCD display maybe.

Offline davet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

700km, average was 3.5lt/100km, but got caught in peak hour traffic in Sydney yesterday afternoon.

What speed did you sit on on the Hume?

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

What speed did you sit on on the Hume?
... said the undercover police officer. Haha.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT

Just took a photo then (Whilst drinking my morning coffee)

Ok, on 1/4 of a tank. (After settling down last night)

Still not bad all things considering.  :razz:

As for the speed, I sat on 90km/h, all the way in the pouring rain all the way from Yass to Sydney, it did not stop! It was raining that hard even I had traction issues (IE: Aqua planing in some sections) at 90km/h, yet 50% of the vehicles overtook me (Mostly P platers and one L plater) were going allot faster than 110km/h.

I stop counting the amount of vehicles that had crashed. (This was BEFORE I had arrived in Sydney)

19 vehicles left the road and where in the ditches either in the middle, or to the side. (10 were Commodores, with 6 of them on their roof) 6 Falcons (1 on it's roof, two on their side) 2 Toyota 4x4's (What was left of them, looked like Land Cruisers) Both on their sides. 1 semi who had jack knifed.

I was more than gob smacked at the sheer stupidity of those drivers.

Though, I will say, I had a nice line of vehicles behind me for the entire trip, they just kept with me, 2 Prius's and what I could see, another i30.

Highlight of the trip, had a Prius pull up beside me whilst stuck in the M5 tunnel (Long one) wound down their window and asked "New diesel i30, looks really nice! What economy you getting?" "Sitting on 3.7lt/100 right now because of this carpark!" "Bull shit! No way those Korean crap cars can do better then MY Prius!" With that he wound his window back up.

I guess we now have to endure economy rage!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ouri30
Lookin' good Thumper.  Your goin' to make 1400km on a tank without a worry.  You should get close to 1500km at the rate you're goin'.

Bob

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Reminds me of that dude Jeff Dunham. And his blue Prius. Keep it up Thumps. Post your 1600km tank on a Prius website. Lol.

Offline davet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

3.5 is a great number!  Was the 90kph real (scangauge/GPS)) or speedometer?  How do rate the relative impact of the tuningbox vs the freeflow exhaust) in improving economy??

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
90km/h by GPS/Scangauge.

At the moment the stock exhaust is fitted. Just trying the economy maps for an entire tank, then will try the stock fuel maps with stock exhaust for a full tank.

After all of that, will try the free flowing exhaust with stock maps, then free flowing exhaust with economy maps.

Then, just to see if it makes any difference, the rally exhaust with full power maps installed. (Curious to see what difference, if any, they will make to the economy)

This is real world driving, in peak hour, in major cities. (Canberra and Sydney) Also driving in hilly areas.

Every time I have checked, I have found the cars own trip computer to be over reading 0.2lt/100km from actual economy. (When filled back up to the brim)

So, going on past history, I'm actually sitting on 3.5lt/100km when the trip computer shows 3.7lt/1ookm.

And no, I'm not driving like a granny, nor 'hyper-mileing' to get the best economy.  :cool:

Offline davet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

Every time I have checked, I have found the cars own trip computer to be over reading 0.2lt/100km from actual economy. (When filled back up to the brim)

I'm seeing the exact opposite (trip computer is more optimistic than reality by about .2 l/100km)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal