i30 Owners Club

Dash cam on order.

John B · 127 · 33029

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
The telescope cpl filter didn't work, it gave tunnel vision so I've ordered the one from above
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Online CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The problem with using any tape to hold the filter in place on the DOD is that there is an "Eyebrow" above the lens that the filter thread hides under. You have to wrap the tape only on the thread to allow the polarising lens to rotate - this means that the tape is only holding the bottom 3 fifths of the lens body and it pushes the lens upwards against the eyebrow which has a radius at the corner  - this pushes the top of the lens away from the camera body.

I found it a dreadfully fiddly job and had three failures before resorting to glue in the narrow face of the threaded lens body.

However - the amalgamating tape looks interesting - I will buy some for other jobs....... :goodjob2:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Finally ordered a dash cam. After much consideration I have decided to order a Mini 0805 from Dash Cams Australia. This is an upgrade from the 0803 and apparently has a heat sink in it to combat o/heating, we will see. The small size of the camera appealed to me along with the cost , plus Dash Cams Australia are doing a deal with 10% off at the moment with free express delivery. The review video gives a good insight into the 0803 and the 0805 is supposed to be better. Do you guys with dash cams that have GPS on them use it seeing it shows your speed as well ?  Anyway time will tell if the write ups are as good as they say.

http://dashcamsaustralia.com.au/

The Dash Cams price is equivalent to £92!!!!!!  It can be bought on line for around £60 from Amazon with no problem returning it  if faulty.

Online CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The Dash Cams price is equivalent to £92!!!!!!  It can be bought on line for around £60 from Amazon with no problem returning it  if faulty.
John B has already received and installed his dash cam plus the benefit of buying it here in Australia is the extra warranty and easier return and servicing options.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Alan is it not possible to file that 'eyebrow' down ? when the filter comes next week I'll have a go at filing it down if need be.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Alan is it not possible to file that 'eyebrow' down ? when the filter comes next week I'll have a go at filing it down if need be.

I cannot see a reason for the eyebrow - but there may well be some component behind there.

And what will you do if the camera develops a problem and you have to send it back. I only have to carefully remove the small residues of the glue.

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Just bought a Mini 0805 Ambarella A7LA50D OV4689 1296P Car Dash Camera DVR With GPS+Hardwire for $111.95 from eBay :link: Mini 0805 Ambarella A7LA50D OV4689 1296P CAR Dash Camera DVR With GPS Hardwire | eBay

I wondered if I was using a  Double Blade Fuse Socket Wire Tap  from Jaycar http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SF5115 for power if I plugged it into the car lighter socket fuse position whether I would have a problem if someone activated the cigarette lighter. I guess it draws something like 2A so will the fuse burn out in this scenario as 15A + 2A would be being drawn at the same time?

I am wondering about using another hardwire device for GPS. Which socket should I attach it to using double blade fuse?

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Not bothered about warranty its a better Chinese copy and uses the same processor as the G1W, think i paid nearly £30 for it 10 months ago,  no fancy gps just silky smooth 1080p mov video.

cant see the point of the eyebrow because its behind the lens seems no use or ornament

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Just bought a Mini 0805 Ambarella A7LA50D OV4689 1296P Car Dash Camera DVR With GPS+Hardwire for $111.95 from eBay :link: Mini 0805 Ambarella A7LA50D OV4689 1296P CAR Dash Camera DVR With GPS Hardwire | eBay

I wondered if I was using a  Double Blade Fuse Socket Wire Tap  from Jaycar http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SF5115 for power if I plugged it into the car lighter socket fuse position whether I would have a problem if someone activated the cigarette lighter. I guess it draws something like 2A so will the fuse burn out in this scenario as 15A + 2A would be being drawn at the same time?

I am wondering about using another hardwire device for GPS. Which socket should I attach it to using double blade fuse?
I have a similar set up, except that I used a microblade fuse tap.  The tap is wired to a dual lighter adaptor socket, which supplies the power to my dash cam and gps.  The original fuse was a single 15amp.  I changed this to 10amp to the lighter, and 5 amp to the the dual adapter, so the total current draw will still be 15amps.  This is all hidden near the fuse compartment.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
After a couple of days of using the Mini 0805 I am really pleased with the results. After fiddling with the resolutions I can't see much difference between the  2034x1296p and the 1080p  and  Techmoan with his review on the 0803 said the same , in fact he suggested using 1080p and get more footage on the  SD card rather than the 1296p. Be interesting to know your thoughts . A few web sites rave on about the crystal clear video on the 1296p . Having quite a bit of trouble trying to find a circular magnetic polarising filter to fit this small camera. Did see one on the net but I don't think it was circular but a linear filter and according to my research not as good, but I stand to be corrected if wrong seeing I am a new old boy at this. :) Looking for a  18mm /22mm ID that has to slip over a 2mm lip.  :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Apparently the 0806 model, due out very soon, has a filter included as well as some other improvements.  I think I will wait.

:link: DashCamTalk  search 0803

I did buy an 0803 but returned it to Amazon as the camera to base was a very loose fit.  I had expected to get the new base with extended sides but it appears there is still old stock being sold.

One thing that puzzled me was where users are placing it in right hand drive cars. With the i30 the mirror is too close to the screen on the driver's side to fit the camera behind the mirror.  If fitted to the left side of the mirror, clear of the hatching, places the camera  in front of the passenger's face. I did read that somebody had reversed the top of a Mini base (with the finger contacts) so that the camera was almost central over the base and the weight is more centralised but cannot find it again.  It cannot be done on the 0803 so does the 0801 base use a different  assembly?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 14:40:57 by baradeur »

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
I have mine in front of the mirror but to the left side of it if you know what I mean so that the lens is just below the black dots

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I have fitted my 0805 on the right side behind the mirror . Sitting in the drivers seat you can just see the LED to let you know it is recording. Ideal for me , once it was set up I was not very interested in the seeing the camera or viewing screen ( got it set up to go off after 1 min anyway ). When I want to view footage I can easily remove sim card and see footage on iMac, removing the sim card instead of the camera from its mount each time eliminates the problem of the mount coming loose. Bought the 0805 instead of waiting for the 0806 as I heard they are sorting out problems with it before releasing it . Personally I would rather wait until it has been out for a while to prove itself. Having said that the 0806 preview of the camera sounds very good ,so if you are willing to wait it could be a bonus.  I really wanted a camera now. Just my thoughts.  :goodjob2:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/hands-on-mini-0806-ambarella-a7la50-dash-camera.8427/

I would like to put in a mention about John Coggi from Earthshine software ( Dash Cam Viewer ) As mentioned before I bought this software to play back footage of my dash cam on my iMac but it is also available for Windows. After having a couple of queries regarding the software I sent John an Email ,the response was excellent and so quick. He asked me to send a folder of files from the SD card,that I did, within 1 hr I had a reply and my question answered,how good was that.
:link: Dashcam Viewer | By Earthshine Software
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:01:44 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob2::goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Baradeur, you mentioned the 806 model found this, don't know how good this is being Chinese. I suppose they all come from china

:link: free shipping Mini 0806 fullHD 1296P Car Blackbox Camera with GPS logger Ambarella A7LA50 chipset-in Car DVRs from

Online CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The spec's look amazing on the 0806 but build quality would concern me somewhat, looks cheap when stood alongside other top models :undecided:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Johnno
:link: free shipping Mini 0806 fullHD 1296P Car Blackbox Camera with GPS logger Ambarella A7LA50 chipset-in Car DVRs from

Quote from their warranty section :lol:

All products are one year warranty include free replacing in first month. (no sabotage)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :Yeah: Just like my Rolex :Pout:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
just done a bit of searching and found that the seller on aliexpress is the manufacturer of  the 800 series and GW1 dashcam's. 
MEGtech  Rayman Chan. He posted on dashcamtalk back in September asking for 15 beta tester's.

I think all the holes in the body of the cam does make it look a bit naf, but some customers where complaining of heat issues with the 800 series in hot climate countries so this new one as a lot of air vents and a heat sink fitted. Dont seem much room to fit a heatsink in there, i know sometimes where room is limited than some manufactures slide a bit of cardboard in and call this a heatsink :Shocked:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Baradeur, you mentioned the 806 model found this, don't know how good this is being Chinese. I suppose they all come from china

Thanks.  I will wait until there is an Amazon UK supplier.  That seller states Christmas so it will not arrive until the end of January anyway.

Spec looks good...160° rotation for either side mounting and capacitor instead of battery amongst others.

Online CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
and capacitor instead of battery amongst others.
It's a 3.7V Li-polymer Battery 320mAh in the 0806.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
ok this what i bought came with 2 filters a UV & cpl, i've just fitted the cpl, used a junior hacksaw and sawed the eyebrow off over the top of the lens. There is a bit of slack so I decided to wrap plumbers PTFE tape around the camera lens shroud as this is more easy to work with and then gently worked the cpl filter onto it, don't know how long it will last but its a tight fit.

:link: B906 Circular Polarizer Lens CPL + UV Filter For GoPro Hero3 Hero3+ Hero 3 3+ | eBay

Online CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Seems to work well enough on that reflection in the windscreen :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good arc of view. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
looks good.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Looks great. Now if anyone can come up with a decent magnetic ring & filter to fit  a Mini 0803/0805 camera I would appreciate it. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Looks great. Now if anyone can come up with a decent magnetic ring & filter to fit  a Mini 0803/0805 camera I would appreciate it. :goodjob2:

don't know if this will do

:link: GGS Magnetic CPL Circular Lens Polarizer 22mm Filter Ring for Digital Cameras | eBay

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Johnno.  :goodjob2:  Did see that on dash cam talk and there was mention that the magnetic ring now comes with a glass lens protector fixed in it , this prevents it from fitting over the lip of the camera lens . There was a suggestion of cracking the glass and removing it. Might give it a go . My other concern is it is very cheap so I wonder about the quality of the filter. Anyway I would probably wait until after Christmas to order it, I always find things  go astray when its close to Christmas.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The filter is only 22mm diameter. I have 27mm filters fitted to both my cameras and they are on the verge of cutting off the corners of the frame.  I  think that a 22mm dia filter might be a problem - especially if you need to fit a magnetic ring to the camera with the adhesive for the filter to butt up against. It would stand the filter further away from the lens and increase the risk of significant cut-off..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal