i30 Owners Club

Dash cam on order.

John B · 127 · 32657

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Finally ordered a dash cam. After much consideration I have decided to order a Mini 0805 from Dash Cams Australia. This is an upgrade from the 0803 and apparently has a heat sink in it to combat o/heating, we will see. The small size of the camera appealed to me along with the cost , plus Dash Cams Australia are doing a deal with 10% off at the moment with free express delivery. The review video gives a good insight into the 0803 and the 0805 is supposed to be better. Do you guys with dash cams that have GPS on them use it seeing it shows your speed as well ?  Anyway time will tell if the write ups are as good as they say.

https://dashcamsaustralia.com.au/
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good luck with it John, look forward to your feedback. Mine doesn't have GPS.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Same as Dazz, looking forward to your review.

On Amazon it, well the model previous, gets very mixed reviews   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

On Amazon it, well the model previous, gets very mixed reviews   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Yes I noticed the mixed reviews . Hopefully the upgraded one will be ok. Best part about buying from Dash Cams Australia is the one year warranty. Should I have any problems it will be easier to deal with an Australian dealer than a overseas one.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
  :MeToo:  :goodjob2:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Once received  fitted and then tested for a while I will definitely report on my findings. Still interested to know if anyone has an opinion on the GPS ( to use or not ). it has been mentioned  if you are wrongly accused of speeding and your speed with GPS  on the dash cam has been recorded , it would be useful as evidence, of course if you do inadvertently go over the speed limit and there is an accident I guess it  could be a minus. :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 22:47:02 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Once received  fitted and then tested for a while I will definitely report on my findings. Still interested to know if anyone has an opinion on the GPS ( to use or not ). it has been mentioned  if you are wrongly accused of speeding and your speed with GPS  on the dash cam has been recorded , it would be useful as evidence, of course if you do inadvertently go over the speed limit and there is an accident I guess it  could be a minus. :goodjob2:
I think there would be more pluses than minuses in using the gps function. Alan is old and wise and he uses it.. :goodjob:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thank's Dazz ,must admit I am tending to think the same as you. At least if an event does occur the GPS will log exactly the position and time. Like Alan I have got the old part but perhaps not the wise . :snigger: :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Tzukius
Just out of interest, what do the insurance companies think of dash cams?  Obviously, it can assist with claims but do they offer any incentives (lower premiums) for using one?

Sent from my HD (that's my Harley-Davidson) using Tapatalk HD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just out of interest, what do the insurance companies think of dash cams?  Obviously, it can assist with claims but do they offer any incentives (lower premiums) for using one?

Sent from my HD (that's my Harley-Davidson) using Tapatalk HD
I have heard that one or two do offer discounts, but not sure which ones. But they are liked by insurance companies..

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I think there would be more pluses than minuses in using the gps function. Alan is old and wise and he uses it.. :goodjob:

I nailed that idiot in the van driving with his elbows didn't I - and the gps was crucial to prove date, time and location....... :goodjob:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thank's Alan so GPS turned on it is. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've read if you declare cam and therefore get that noted in policy, if you are involved in a claim and cam not on then insurance is void
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
All the cams I have researched all turn on automatically with the ignition if plugged into the power socket . Maybe if they are hot wired to  permanent power you would have to turn them on and off manually and could be forgotten. I am not sure but I believe you need permanent power if you want the camera to operate in a car park when the ignition is off  ( the batteries in the cameras don't last long ) so the camera turns on if the car is hit .  Would be handy but I think you would need a camera front and rear if someone should back into you and possible the sides as well. :undecided:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Knowing that insurers will use every trick in the book to wriggle out of a claim - I would not declare my cameras even if a reduced premium was offered.

Although my cameras are mounted permanently in the car and are always filming when the engine is running - the quality of the video is marred by heavy rain and snow - especially the rear camera. Sods law says that the evidence would be blurred just when it was vital.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
All the cams I have researched all turn on automatically with the ignition if plugged into the power socket . Maybe if they are hot wired to  permanent power you would have to turn them on and off manually and could be forgotten. I am not sure but I believe you need permanent power if you want the camera to operate in a car park when the ignition is off  ( the batteries in the cameras don't last long ) so the camera turns on if the car is hit .  Would be handy but I think you would need a camera front and rear if someone should back into you and possible the sides as well. :undecided:
If you want the parking option for auto bump cam then it requires permanent power and an extra device to be installed like the Power Magic Pro, I had the Blackvue DR650 twin cam and the magic Pro installed to my parents car and it's worked very well for them, already caught a few shopping centre incidents with peoples trolleys :disapp:

:link: BlackVue Power Magic Pro | Hardwire Kit for BlackVue
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:43:40 by CraigB »

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Knowing that insurers will use every trick in the book to wriggle out of a claim - I would not declare my cameras even if a reduced premium was offered.
Also having an Intruder Alarm at home - unless it's a condition.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Mini Dash Cam 0805 arrived this morning . I soon had it fitted in the car with all the wiring hidden thanks to our friends suggestions on how to hide them in earlier post ( see I do take notice ) The small camera  fitted behind the mirror and does not notice to much from outside. After setting it up ( you need a magnifying glass to read the manual ) I went for a drive. I purchased the Dash Cam Viewer from Earthshine Software for the mac comp, this allowed me to put the SD card into the Mac and away we went. The camera performed very well with nice clear video. I did have a couple of problems but not the cameras fault # 1 owing to the steep rake of the windscreen and the sun directly in front I had reflection of the dash. This could have been made worse by having the interior treated when the car was new making it shinier . I will try tilting the camera slightly higher and see if that helps. # 2 when playing back the videos the speed on the dash cam viewer was well out but correct on the GPS info on the video itself, on reading the viewer  manual I think it was because I did not have the correct time zone set on the camera ,this I have now set and will try it again. The good thing is it was correct on the video if required at any time as evidence. One thing I noticed  according to the GPS map on the Dash Cam Viewer , was it sometimes showed me driving on the pavement ( perhaps I was  :snigger: )  I was not to happy about the camera being in the blazing sun when I parked in the  shopping centre car park, although I can actually remove the camera from its mount I don't think it is recommended to do this to many times as the contacts can become a bit loose.I guess all camera makes would suffer the sun . So if I can overcome the reflection from the dash ( a dash mat would probably help but I am not very keen on them ) and keep the camera out of the hot sun I would say at this early stage I am very impressed with this small camera for the cost. :goodjob2: Still got to study the manual for dash cam viewer so I can sort out what they mean by Bits in the options which you can adjust on a sliding scale, also picture size on the camera, I guess they are referring to taking a still photo with the camera but it is not clear in the camera manual. :confused:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
john, just slide a small piece of cardboard over the top of the camera when parked....

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
john, just slide a small piece of cardboard over the top of the camera when parked....

Thanks neptune I will try that. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
.. and locate AlanHo's guide to creating a polarizing filter, to reduce glare.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
.. and locate AlanHo's guide to creating a polarizing filter, to reduce glare.

Thanks shambles. Found Alan's guide , brilliant. will see if I can find one to fit the Mini cam. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Looks like i need a filter too, I've noticed more glare on the i30 than on the corsa and S60 so i'm gonna try using a 1.25'' size filter used on telescope eyepieces and blutac it on and see if it will fit.
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
After doing a lot of searching the best option I've come across so far is a Cpl filter that you can stick to the front of the cam lens :link: 37mm CPL Circular Polarizer Lens UV Filter Adapter CAP FOR Gopro Hero 3 3 | eBay

Watch this video
:link: CPL filter for DOD LS430W dashcam - YouTube
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 14:25:43 by CraigB »

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Cheers Craig for the link, it looks like the same as the one's i use on my scopes and i have a Chinese copy of the camera :D which i must say looking at that video there's hardly if any noticeable difference in quality except i don't have gps besides i don't like the idea of it logging my speed as i do like to tear arse around a bit, so i'll give it a bash when i get to prise the chariot off the other half,
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I made a magnetic attachment for the camera so I can easily swap between either car.

See reply #16
:link: Car Cam Attachment
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I first tried using insulation tape to hold the filter in place - but even in UK summer temperatures - the adhesive soon fails, the plastic tape stretches and the filter falls off.

I have finished up using 4 small blobs of epoxy glue - applied with thin tooth pick - for a secure mounting. You need to have a fine touch and steady hand - but it works and has proved to be reliable. I am reconciled to the fact that removing the filter is a minor surgical operation and the camera body will show the marks where the glue has been - but for me it is worth it.

It is important to find a filter than is very compact - if the 37 mm housing projects more than about 8mm from the front face of the camera surrounding the lens you get cut-off at the corners of the picture because of the ultra wide angle lens. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Loctite 401 or 406 would work for this purpose too.. :goodjob:

:link: About Loctite - Henkel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Concerning glue attachment I'd suggest using a clear silicone, It'll hold fast and if you want the filter removed it will lift off easily enough and the silicone will peel away leaving no damage.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The way to secure the filter to the lens/body is with self-amalgamating tape. I swear by it for a variety of uses.

The thin 'rubber' tape would be stretched around the filter... when it meets itself it will begin to fuse into solid rubber.

And it's dead cheap - I pay around £3 for 10 metres.

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal