i30 Owners Club

What *don't* you like about your i30?

Nev75 · 731 · 183884

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Oh coool! I always wanted a car owned by a strange old Muslim pop star. lol
At least it's not by a diminutive black 80s psychadelic pop star or you'd have no way of typing his name! :whistler:

Is that "The artist previously known as ..."?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Is that "The artist previously known as ..."?
A royal nomenclature for a singer of coloured precipitation and millenium eves indeed!  :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Are you sure it is THE Cat Stevens.
Can't find any reference that he lives in OZ...
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

It must be him!! In a world of 6 billion + people, surely there can only be one C Stephens (even with different spelling).

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Think he's been here doing his musical "Moonshadow".... http://www.moonshadowthemusical.com.au/  :whistler:

It must be him!! In a world of 6 billion + people, surely there can only be one C Stephens (even with different spelling).

Don't tell me he's changed his name again!  :lol:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Started out as

Steven Georgiou
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I know a woman called Cat Stevens. Truly.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Doh! Time to upgrade cars, pip.... :lol:

No way I would trade my car if there were coins stuck in the ashtray  :twisted: :lol:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Active Illawarra Region
Phil and Surferdude, glad to know it's not just us  :lol:
  • 2012 Hyundai i30 Active

Offline WayneD

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Two things annoy me...

It's been 8 months now since I bought my new i30 and I still can't get used to the dash lights being on even when my headlights aren't. I keep driving home along lit up streets and then when I get to my street that isn't lit up, that's when I realise my headlights aren't on. I have never driven a car before that have the dash lights on when your headlights aren't.

I have resorted to leaving the headlights on at all times but then I get sick of good hearted citizens saying, "You've left your headlights on" as I walk away from the car. Then I have to explain to them that they go off automatically after a minute.

The second thing is what's the point of having a rear wiper if there is no water jet to clean the window with? Dumb.

Oh and one other thing, reverse lights are crap, but that I can fix with an LED light mounted beside the number plate. I have run the wiring just got to get around to installing the light.
  • 2012 i30 CRDi The Yakster Mobile

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Wayne,

Most cars are having the dash lights on all the time now. The previous model FD didn't and I used to drive with the lights on just to make the instruments more readable in certain conditions.

Strange about the rear wiper (the FD had a squirter in the top brake light assembly)  :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The GD would have the washer as well, I'm sure. I'm still trying to find a way to get instrument lights on all the time in the FD. Now I have the workshop manual, I feel I'm getting closer to the solution.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline WayneD

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
The GD would have the washer as well, I'm sure.

Buggered it I can see it or find a switch for it. I'll be happy to be proven wrong. Next service is only 5K away so I'll ask then.

Don't get me wrong the good things outweigh the bad 10 X but it is the small things that always annoys me!

Offline WayneD

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
 :-[ Just rang Hyundai and got told to push the lever forward and that operates the water jet.  :lol:  :whistler:

These new fangled cars...doesn't even look like a water jet is there. The outlet is over to one side of the wiper so not sure quite how that is effective but time will tell.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Oh well i see you are sorted now but heres my Post lol! Did you try pushing the end of the wiper stalk forward for the rear wiper wash? That's where the switch is on my FD but its a twister on mine. Might be that the motor has failed for the back washer.... Switch on the ignition and try it, you should hear the pump running without the engine noise.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline WayneD

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Yep that's it Keith. It looked like that is what I had to do with twister but it didn't go far enough. It took about 10 seconds for the water to start running and I could hear the pump going. Seeing as how it had never been used I guess the lines needed to fill up first.

Happy days  :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
We aim to please.  :goodjob:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yep that's it Keith. It looked like that is what I had to do with twister but it didn't go far enough. It took about 10 seconds for the water to start running and I could hear the pump going. Seeing as how it had never been used I guess the lines needed to fill up first.

Happy days  :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

You can "wipe" that problem off your list  :goodjob:

Some members didn't have an issue with the unlit instraments in the FD but I did (and quite a few others)

So I think it was a positive improvement... Even the Wife's previous car, a base model Nissan Tiida had it ...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Now I have the schematics, I should be able to stop the outside lights in the FD model from coming on, with a diode somewhere.  :head_butt:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Don't keep all that fun troubleshooting to yourself, Phil. Do share. Since the negative ion generator, I've been somewhat bereft of any electronic design activity. :blubber:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Patience Gonz, patience.

I've looked at the schematic, but the way it's presented is a bit difficult for my eyes / brain and I've got other priorities at the moment. However, the boss is out of action for 6 days, so I might get some time to revisit my original mod and do some more testing. I'll get something to you asap.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
The steering is about as dead as... well its bereft of any sort of feedback. It diminishes the driving experience. Other than that it's not a bad gadget at all. 
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I see that "dead steering" jibe bandied around a lot, mostly by car mag vehicle testers, TBH I don't agree. I've had many many cars of all makes and the only ones with any "feel" we're the ones without power assistance. I'll stick with what I got thanks, I don't expect feedback from the steering wheel, i love it as it is as I use my eyes and the seat of my pants for feedback, much like I do on a motorbike. What do we want for a cooking family car?  :rofl:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :agreed: :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
You're going to cook your families in your i30s? :scared:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Cooking as in "standard" Gonz.... But I know you know...

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
I see that "dead steering" jibe bandied around a lot, mostly by car mag vehicle testers, TBH I don't agree. I've had many many cars of all makes and the only ones with any "feel" we're the ones without power assistance. I'll stick with what I got thanks, I don't expect feedback from the steering wheel, i love it as it is as I use my eyes and the seat of my pants for feedback, much like I do on a motorbike. What do we want for a cooking family car?  :rofl:

Our European cars including Golfs were able to offer something in the steering department the i30 lacks. I strongly suspect tyres are part of the issue but not completely the answer. It's an area of the car that could use some attention I think although its obviously not intended to be a sporty car or a car with a sporty feel. And yes indeed, as it is it works just fine as a daily driver.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Our European cars including Golfs were able to offer something in the steering department the i30 lacks. I strongly suspect tyres are part of the issue but not completely the answer. It's an area of the car that could use some attention I think although its obviously not intended to be a sporty car or a car with a sporty feel. And yes indeed, as it is it works just fine as a daily driver.

Damnit... I used to be able to say "yeah but the Golf is a whole sack of money more..." But I can't these days. The difference in price is closing so I guess you make a fair call. I suppose the best I can offer is that VW have had longer to perfect the driver involvement element desired by some owners.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I found the Veloster steering a bit more involving than the i30 (and the i40 quite good too) if i remember correctly

The hybrid steerng is similar to the i30 though, not bad on a winding road but lifeless on the highway  :confused:

Offline wayne

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Ascot

• 62 plate i30 style 1.6 crdi 128ps in steel grey.
The glove box is a "little angry" when you press the button!  talk about wanting to break you knee caps!   :lol: 
  • i30 style (62 plate)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal