What *don't* you like about your i30?

Nev75 · 731 · 183871

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
WayneD has just given me more fuel not to update to the newer model,who the flock wants their dash lights on all the time,even when turned down to the lowest at nights,their still to bright for me
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I do Rick.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Phil But the question is WHY,it is daylight,why would you need the dash lights on  :question:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Phil But the question is WHY,it is daylight,why would you need the dash lights on  :question:

Unless they improved the dash after my March '08 FD, I reckon the dash is easier to read with the lights on in the day time! (like most other cars these days)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Unless they improved the dash after my March '08 FD, I reckon the dash is easier to read with the lights on in the day time! (like most other cars these days)  :cool:

Ever thought of going to an optometrist  :whistler:  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

^ + ^  :p :head_butt:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You must have remarkable eyes Rick. Many times in daylight, the instruments are so recessed, that I can see SFA. Put the park lights & it's perfect. Also, in lit tunnels, they're pitch black too.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Lets see now......I now have owned an FD Trophy 4 speed auto(petrol) and now a GD premium 6 speed auto (petrol).
My first bitch is the fuel economy......the FD with a 4 speed auto is better than the GD with 6 speed auto. I have tried all sorts of ways to get max fuel out of the GD, but it can't match the FD.
The second one is the power seems better in the FD over the GD. Having put both cars down the drag strip and against diesel I30's the FD is the fastest.
Lights have always been a problem with I30's.......The FD's high beam improved when you raised them up, but the GD's are about the same on high beam.
Head units.....in both cars, we have had the head unit replaced twice in each car and we are still waiting for Hyundai to fix our steering wheel control 5 months down the road......seems that millions of dollars to build a new car, can't figure out how to fix a radio channel changer.........

Offline WayneD

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

I have resorted to leaving the headlights on at all times but then I get sick of good hearted citizens saying, "You've left your headlights on" as I walk away from the car. Then I have to explain to them that they go off automatically after a minute.

I have found a fix for this now also. If you push the lock button twice on your remote the headlights go off straight away.  :happydance:
  • 2012 i30 CRDi The Yakster Mobile

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
You must have remarkable eyes Rick. Many times in daylight, the instruments are so recessed, that I can see SFA. Put the park lights & it's perfect. Also, in lit tunnels, they're pitch black too.

Put five cents on the freeway,I'll spot it at 110 and stop and pick it up.  :lol:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I must be driving a different car. The dash is well lit UNTIL I turn on the parkers at dusk and then it's too dim for my liking until the day gets much darker. :head_butt:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The dash is well lit UNTIL I turn on the parkers at dusk and then it's too dim for my liking until the day gets much darker. :head_butt:

On mine there is a wheel to turn to brighten or darked the instrument cluster which is just above the right knee.

Do you have this one?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 22:45:23 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The dash is well lit UNTIL I turn on the parkers at dusk and then it's too dim for my liking until the day gets much darker. :head_butt:

On mine there is a wheel to turn to brighten or darked the i2nstrument cluster which is just above the right jnee.

Do you have this one?
I thought they all did.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I don't like the fact it gets dirty, also don't like it when fuel light comes on, apart from that she is sweet! :)

Offline arx7

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I guess noise comes into mind.
In harsh roads, the noise just slips in.
In highway, a little bit of wind noise.

Anyway my fuel consumption is about 8.8/100km.
I reckon it's not great, but bearable since my last car was xtrail.  :D
  • i30 GD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline WayneD

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
When driving along with either both the front windows down or both the back windows down there is this thumping sound that the wind generates in my ears and drives me insane. Must be something to do with my ears as no-one else seems to get affected by it.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I get that too....but it's not something that's limited to the i30, I get it with many cars...  :confused:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
When driving along with either both the front windows down or both the back windows down there is this thumping sound that the wind generates in my ears and drives me insane. Must be something to do with my ears as no-one else seems to get affected by it.

Wayne, I first had that problem with a Magna back in about 1993, then a Commodore, another Commodore, a Falcon, a Liberty, an Impreza and all the Corollas my wife has owned in the same period.  Everyone in the car can hear it.  Bloody annoying I agree but less of an issue these days with aircon.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline WayneD

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I have never noticed it before and I have been driving for 20+ years!!! Good to know there are others out there. I don't use the aircon much as it puts me to sleep so I prefer to crack the windows.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
It used to annoy the hell outta me in my VH Commodore. I would instantly pounce on whoever even slightly cracked open a window. I used to hate how everyone would roll their eyes as if I was hearing things - well, I was! :head_butt:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have never noticed it before and I have been driving for 20+ years!!! Good to know there are others out there. I don't use the aircon much as it puts me to sleep so I prefer to crack the windows.

I've been driving for 38 years and have had 28 cars of my own and half a dozen work vehicles as well.

That drumming / booming noise seems to be worse in the more recent/more aerodynamic models.. I used to tell my Girls when they were little it was illegal to drive with the windows down on the highway.. They worked out I was "cow excrementing" eventually  :snigger:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Yes i get the thumping noise
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
My BA Falcon was the worst for the buffeting noise.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I get that too....but it's not something that's limited to the i30, I get it with many cars...  :confused:
Like you I get this type noise in many vehicles

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I guess noise comes into mind.
In harsh roads, the noise just slips in.
In highway, a little bit of wind noise.

Anyway my fuel consumption is about 8.8/100km.
I reckon it's not great, but bearable since my last car was xtrail.  :D
Holy Cow 8.8/100 km, thats terrible.even my old commodore only uses 11/100,mind U had  nissan petrol navara,that was a nightmare,used to just tow a fuel trailer around with me,it was a shocker

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

On mine there is a wheel to turn to brighten or darked the instrument cluster which is just above the right knee.

Do you have this one?

Only if the lights have been switched on, and that is not legal in Oz, during daylight, I believe.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Do you have this one?

Only if the lights have been switched on, and that is not legal in Oz, during daylight, I believe.

Phil you can legally drive during the day with either headlights on or parklights,but is totally illegal to drive with your fog lamps on Go Figger,lot of lodgic there

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland

I've been driving for 38 years and have had 28 cars of my own and half a dozen work vehicles as well.

That drumming / booming noise seems to be worse in the more recent/more aerodynamic models.. I used to tell my Girls when they were little it was illegal to drive with the windows down on the highway.. They worked out I was "cow excrementing" eventually  :snigger:

i'd have to agree with you on the newer cars seem to have that air hammer noise more. i had a sierra and it was less aerodynamic then a brick and it never once made that hammer noise, but then again my mr2 never did either and it was pretty much a small ramp, maybe its a 4 door car thing. as all my 2 door cars have never done it.
suzuki sierra
toyota mr2
toyota supra
suzuki mighty boy

but all the 4 door cars we've had do

holden astra
suzuki grang vitara
i30
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal