i30 Owners Club

What *don't* you like about your i30?

Nev75 · 731 · 182780

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

• 47b Hadrian's Wall, Cumbria, England
BIG thanks, Asterix: the speedy clarification is appreciated.  Just a thought, then: given that the FD generation had a life-span of 5 years, does that mean the GD generation represents a significant improvement on its predecessor?  I'm not being critical of our Hyundai i.30 Estate -- far from it -- but wondered if the road noise (NVH) irritant is less of a presence in the successor models. As things stand, we're not fully persuaded that we should stick with Hyundai because of this refinement issue.
  • i30 Estate Premium Diesel 112PS 2010 model

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It appears the Hy have made improvements in the GD version, although, not to the satisfaction of our members. Tyre choice is still a very important consideration. My question to you would be what you would consider replacing with. My understanding is that models of the same design are sometimes worse than the Hy model.

In my car, a 1992 Holden, the wheel arches are considerably further forward than the i30, which are very close to the front door seals. If Hy used rubber to rubber contact, I think noise would be improved.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
BIG thanks, Asterix: the speedy clarification is appreciated.  Just a thought, then: given that the FD generation had a life-span of 5 years, does that mean the GD generation represents a significant improvement on its predecessor?  I'm not being critical of our Hyundai i.30 Estate -- far from it -- but wondered if the road noise (NVH) irritant is less of a presence in the successor models. As things stand, we're not fully persuaded that we should stick with Hyundai because of this refinement issue.

Hi again Flyyte.. We recently traded Trish's 2010 (MY11) FD 2.0 Manual Petrol CW for a 2014 GD Tourer (1.6 GDi Manual) It is a bit quieter and slightly better finished. In my opinion it is a definite improvement (incrementally) in most areas although she finds the 1.6 petrol motor a bit less zippy around town. Good pull on the highway though!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

It appears the Hy have made improvements in the GD version, although, not to the satisfaction of our members. Tyre choice is still a very important consideration. My question to you would be what you would consider replacing with. My understanding is that models of the same design are sometimes worse than the Hy model.

In my car, a 1992 Holden, the wheel arches are considerably further forward than the i30, which are very close to the front door seals. If Hy used rubber to rubber contact, I think noise would be improved.

<b>Phil:</b> thanks for that. But ah, such a difficult question re likely replacement for our i30. I'm thinking we might need to look at a 2-year-old Ford Mondeo (for example) or a Mercedes C Class. Something like that. We've traveled (not driven) in both recently and in terms of ride quality and refinement they seemed pretty good. Actually, refinement does seem to have come on apace with other manufacturers: I drove a newish Ford Fiesta not long back and though it was too small for our needs, it was surprisingly refined. I guess we'd have to shop around when the time came. To be honest, what I think I'd most miss about our i30 is that it's a character. Seriously. She was too new when we got her to evidence much in the way of personality but as time has gone by, that astonishing (well, to me it is) diesel engine has slackened off and become a revelation: a 'pocket rocket', as someone once described it. Getting the same kick / vitality from another car isn't going to be easy . . .

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

Hi Dazzler: that's really helpful, you know? Big thanks. I'm much more drawn to incremental improvement rather than the oft-touted revolutionary which then turn out to be little more than marketing hype. Another i30 would be very much on our shopping list, next time around, but it's good to learn of others' experiences by way of educating yourself in what you're proposing to buy. (Hey: I guess I'd miss the diesel, too . . . Vroom, vroom!)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
....that astonishing diesel engine has slackened off and become a revelation: a 'pocket rocket', as someone once described it. Getting the same kick / vitality from another car isn't going to be easy . . .
:whsaid: :goodjob2:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I don't like my i30 anymore because...

I like driving her too much :mrgreen:

21'000km since 6 June 2014 and loving every kilometer. Plus, There are some awesome folks on this forum that make the ownership just that much more enjoyable :goodjob:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Almost a disappointment to reach your destination  :happydance: :lol: ?

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Almost a disappointment to reach your destination  :happydance: :lol: ?
Exactly, I struggle to get out some days :p

My boss always asks why I take so long to get to my jobs. A few kilometers here and there never hurt anyone... :whistler:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
There will come a facelifted i30 soon. Will be interesting to find out if they have improved the sound deadening as well.

Looking forward to see it at the local dealer...

:link: 2015 Hyundai i30 face-lift revealed - engines, spec and release date - What Car?
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

Plus, There are some awesome folks on this forum that make the ownership just that much more enjoyable :goodjob:

:whsaid:

It's true though. I'll bet there's many a marque and many a manufacturer which isn't enhanced -- because it is enhanced -- by the presence of online communities financed at no cost to the manufacturer and peopled by folks who generously give of their time and their expertise to helping others. (Bet there aren't many, either, characterised by the same sense of humour.)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I've driven straight past my destination because I enjoy driving the car so much. :whistler:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yesterday I opted to order a spare part for our gas cooktop from a shopfront in preference to a web purchase and delivery, just to drive Firty. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yesterday I opted to order a spare part for our gas cooktop from a shopfront in preference to a web purchase and delivery, just to drive Firty. :lol:

:goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :lol: :backontopic:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :-[

I won't be able to take Firty to Indonesia with me. :blubber:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Y not

C130, you sit in car, comfortable seats, sound system, what more could you want.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Just not practical. I'll be spending this year deciding between selling her or storing her for a year. :blubber:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
I've had my i30 for nearly 4 years now. The lease ends in November.

So, I'll post a list of what I don't like about it. Maybe it'll help me make up my mind whether to keep it (pay out the lease), extend the lease for one more year or to sell it.

No mute button on steering wheel
Traction control, if it's working properly, is quite violent in its application
Need to hold clutch in when starting. (I'm not into nanny-state stuff)
Power outlet (formerly called cigarette lighters) doesn't work with ignition off
Fair bit of road noise - but then, it IS a sub $25k car
Heater takes twenty years to warm up, longer if it's actually cold out

That's about it, really. In other words, there, for me, are no serious shortcomings of the vehicle. But what will probably affect my decision in November is that my wife has difficulties climbing in and out of it. Her car is a full sized "SUV", a Holden Captiva (for our Euro/UK friends, similar to the Santa Fe).

So, if it goes, we'll probably consider an ix35 next.

• 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've had my i30 for nearly 4 years now. The lease ends in November.

So, I'll post a list of what I don't like about it. Maybe it'll help me make up my mind whether to keep it (pay out the lease), extend the lease for one more year or to sell it.

No mute button on steering wheel
Traction control, if it's working properly, is quite violent in its application
Need to hold clutch in when starting. (I'm not into nanny-state stuff)
Power outlet (formerly called cigarette lighters) doesn't work with ignition off
Fair bit of road noise - but then, it IS a sub $25k car
Heater takes twenty years to warm up, longer if it's actually cold out

That's about it, really. In other words, there, for me, are no serious shortcomings of the vehicle. But what will probably affect my decision in November is that my wife has difficulties climbing in and out of it. Her car is a full sized "SUV", a Holden Captiva (for our Euro/UK friends, similar to the Santa Fe).

So, if it goes, we'll probably consider an ix35 next.

Very fair summary! Been a while since I've driven an FD but I thought holding the Mode button paused (muted) the audio?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
There's a mute button on the GD wheel.
Greatest invention ever when those annoying ads come on the radio.
Noise slightly better but still an issue in the GD.
Seldom get to use traction control. I did recently when I was trying to catch up to someone in the pouring rain but I didn't find it intrusive.
Heater works well in my diesel.
Still need to hold clutch in when starting (but, I'm led to believe, this is not the case in an automatic   :mrgreen:).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Just have to press your brake pedal on the auto when starting the petrol engine, not sure if it is the same on the auto diesel.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No, just insert key, wait for glow plugs to heat up and then crank the engine, in the FD.

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      A wee town south of Glasgow
Extremely poor visibility at the A pillar and when looing over the shoulder when overtaking or changing lanes.

Road noise.

After only 1 weeks ownership thats it :)
  • 2014, i30, 5 Door Hatch, 1.4 Active, Petrol, 6 Speed Manual, Silver

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Definately the A pillar.

Funnily my wife always complained about the A pillar in our old car being way to thick (Dodge Caliber) but now she only complains about the gear lever.

But it has to do with stiffness of the car. And if it rolls, the roof won't cave in as easily.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      A wee town south of Glasgow
Definately the A pillar.

Funnily my wife always complained about the A pillar in our old car being way to thick (Dodge Caliber) but now she only complains about the gear lever.

But it has to do with stiffness of the car. And if it rolls, the roof won't cave in as easily.

I looked at a number of cars before buying the i30 and many had the same issue. Must be the way they build cars these days.

One salesman said a larger A pillar gave strength in an accident. Ironic really that such poor visibility could cause an accident........hey ho.
  • 2014, i30, 5 Door Hatch, 1.4 Active, Petrol, 6 Speed Manual, Silver

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Extremely poor visibility at the A pillar and when looing over the shoulder when overtaking or changing lanes.

Road noise.

Looing over the shoulder while driving is not allowed in Australia. :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Road noise.

Looing over the shoulder while driving is not allowed in Australia. :snigger:

But looing out the window is OK.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Yes as long as the rear window is not open.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
But looing out the window is OK.

Reminds me of a New Years Eve road trip I undertook with a couple of "ladies" some years back...  :whistler:

Talk about p*ssing into the wind!!!  :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal