i30 Owners Club

Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Surferdude · 175 · 41677

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
That's interesting, I thought it was going to be released midnight tonight!  :undecided:

It was released last night at midnight last night in New Zealand. Maybe they forgot Australia was next in the time zones ??  :mrgreen:

Downloaded now and done prep work before rebooting, now says "Your PC will will restart several times, Sit back and relax".  32% through that process so I can't go to bed yet. :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hopefully done by now! Good luck with it!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I imaged all my Win7 lappies and my Win8.1 lappy last night, ready for this update.

Will probably "go for it" straight away on a Win7 when I get home.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

It has now installed successfully, well according to them anyway. Showing me a standard 640 type screen rather than the 1080 I'm used to. Won't scroll up at all so I can't find a way to change the settings. Seems like a cock-up to me.

Many users on a UK site have reported failures to update at all.

So don't do it, yet. :)

:rolleyes:

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

I imaged all my Win7 lappies and my Win8.1 lappy last night, ready for this update.

Will probably "go for it" straight away on a Win7 when I get home.

No ! If it cocks up from Windows 8.1 then it might really bugger up a Win 7 machine. Wait a while at least . :)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Right click on the desktop to alter settings, well in win 7 you do.  :idea:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I won't touch my (main) Win8.1 system, but am quite prepared to see what damage is done to a Win7 Dell Inspiron :D

Plus as I said, I have very recent system images to fall back on.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Got my screen sorted out after finding Control Panel in the silly boxes. Though having used it it seems to have disappeared from the boxes and is now on the main drop-down menu ??

Yep , images are a good idea all the same.  My Dell doesn't matter too much as I only use it for a few purposes which need a bit of CPU power. They will probably still all work, though not tried them all yet.

Most stuff I do is on my trusty Win 7 laptop - though it is four years old now and won't last forever. :(

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
It has now installed successfully, well according to them anyway. Showing me a standard 640 type screen rather than the 1080 I'm used to. Won't scroll up at all so I can't find a way to change the settings. Seems like a cock-up to me.

Many users on a UK site have reported failures to update at all.

So don't do it, yet. :)

:rolleyes:

On your say so I am holding back for a few days... although it would only affect my winders laptop since I am now fully converted to the dark side (Mac) for my main machine....   

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
If you've registered for a Win 10 update, don't forget it may already be downloading it (2.7Gb) silently in the background, as I've just discovered on my 8.1 lappy.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
If you've registered for a Win 10 update, don't forget it may already be downloading it (2.7Gb) silently in the background, as I've just discovered on my 8.1 lappy.

Is the file install.esd size 2,746,299?

Rumour on the web has it that this download is preliminary - you will get a second download to be able to do a full install. At that time you will get a message in your system tray that you are good to go for the install.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 17:22:09 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The order of events shows a further update will be required.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well, despite me being determined to postpone my move to Win10 on this laptop, I did it and all seems fine.

Took 3.5 hours, mind...

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Congrats Steve - do let us know how you get on with it.

Pinched from another forum for those that want to do the USB or ISO/DVD install. Warning - a lot of people are having trouble getting the OS activated after using those methods.

Folks, be very careful here. MS has a very specific order on how the upgrade will happen for those of you not part of the insider program:
1. MS will download the upgrade folder onto your Win7/8.1 computer.
2. MS will give you a screen shot that will notify you when MS is ready to upgrade your computer.
3. MS will notify you that the upgrade is ready to install.
4. You can then upgrade your computer.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FORCE ANY OF THESE STEPS! The reason? You may not get an activated copy of Windows 10 nor a valid Windows 10 license. Those HAVE to come from MS and there is no way to force MS to give them to you. The worst case is that you have to start all over again by doing a complete reinstall of your Win7/8.1 OS and then having to wait for MS to once again do the steps above.
PATIENCE. MS has hundreds of millions of computers to upgrade. Yours may be not slated to be upgraded until a day, a week, or several weeks from now. MS simply cannot do them all at once. MS is in control here, not you.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
If you have multiple networks at home, beware that it's taken me 45 minutes to find out why my two servers "lost sight" of my Win10 laptop... the Win10 upgrade changed the homegroup policy to enforce username/password access, something that homegroups should not need (easy enough to turn off, once you realise that's the connection problem).

Otherwise, still running quite smoothly.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm mega impressed with the multiple desktop handler.

Here I have 3 desktops running, each doing different amounts of work:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I got a question for you Steve.

For some years I have got used to accessing all my stuff by clicking on desktop shortcuts - be they programmes , documents or URL's. To avoid a mass of icons on the desktop I keep them in folders on the desktop. I manually size each folder and its position on the desktop to suit its contents.

Windows 8 would not remember the size and position of each folder individually. It opened the next folder you opened to the size and position of its predecessor. Unlike XP (or was it Vista) that memorised each folder individually.

I overcame the problem by installing some free software called ShellFolderFix which did all I asked of it.

ShellFolderFix will not work in Windows 10 - which is fine if M.S have addressed the problem. If not I am buggered.

This is a shot of my desktop - you can see I have opened two folders (i30 Forum and Sat Nav stuff) as examples

Do you understand what I am rambling on about - if so - can you answer the question.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yes, and no.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I understand your preference. I don't know whether W10 will do that. It reminds me of the original Progman.exe in W3.1 :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Online CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My system has taken the best part of the day to get sorted out, after running the upgrade last night ( which failed ) several other features of my system weren't functioning after, decided to flash an earlier image and for some reason that wasn't repairing the problem like the windows updates no longer functioning and whatever fix I tried made no difference.

In the end I contacted Microsoft support today who had to remotely connect to my system for a following 2 hours to correct the problem and then force a win10 upgrade after further registry modifications " what a nightmare "

I see it's also a common issue across many forums with emoticons not working with the Edge browser.

A note for anyone wanting to download a Win 10 iso...don't! Microsoft informed me today that no iso's have been put up yet and the ones that people are recommending are technical preview iso's that will run out in the year.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I am holding off, I learnt my lesson with iOS upgrades, wait for the impatient to find the issues and let the vendor sort them out....
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I am 10 minutes from restoring a Win8.1 image.

F**k knows what's happened to my taskbar but I no longer have any shortcuts nor can I get to my servers (VNC).

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
UPDATE: don't select "tablet mode" from the notifications bar while playing around :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks guys, I think I'll stick with 8.1 and 7 as long as I can!  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
 :whsaid:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
No trouble at all for me, I use Win 7  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
UPDATE: don't select "tablet mode" from the notifications bar while playing around :lol:
I notice that tab in the action centre too, I guess you've now discovered that you can right click and disable tablet features in the settings :)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Thanks guys, I think I'll stick with 8.1 and 7 as long as I can!  :whistler:

Yeah me three   :Shocked:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
"ns"

:D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I tool a look at the windows Update history on my desktop computer this morning and noticed there had been 14 failed attempts to download the Win 10 update

I did a bit of googling and it was suggested that I delete all the files in  C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download - which I did.

An hour later I got the message to install Windows 10 - which I did.

It took just 45 minutes to install and I am pleased to see my printers and scanner are all working fine, all my stored user names, passwords etc are intact and my desktop is identical to Win 8.1 (because my Start8 desktop software is still working OK). I have yet to trial all my other software - but so far, so good.

I did notice that Windows Restore is turned off by default - I have switched it on for just my C drive.

My first run of CCLeaner after the Win10 install produced 93 Registry entries to be deleted.

The new browser - Edge - is very fast compared with Explorer but I need to spend time to get it set up to my liking.

This was the easiest Windows upgrade I have experienced.  For me - Microsoft got it spot on.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 15:40:22 by AlanHo »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal