i30 Owners Club

Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Surferdude · 175 · 41007

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Don't forget to run the Windows disc clean up in Admin mode ( right click on disc clean - choose run as admin ) if you really want to clean that system :), you are also safe to remove the leftover Windows BT or Windows,~SW folder on C drive if you are going to make an image of that nice clean system.

System restore isn't the most reliable so personally I'd leave it disabled and make system images instead.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Don't forget to turn off WUDO - p2p/bittorrent by any other name.

:link: Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ - Windows Help
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Don't forget to turn off WUDO - p2p/bittorrent by any other name.

:link: Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ - Windows Help
Like this :) though it can be handy to use when set to local network if you have multiple systems :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 18:05:21 by CraigB »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
We are away for a few days exploring Lincoln and my laptop decided to download the Win 10 upgrade. I "ummed and Arred" about whether to instal it - but eventually deciding the have a go.

I set it started and we went out for a meal - when we returned 2 hours later it was asking me if I wanted it to install and set everything up - so I let it.  It has taken just under 45 minutes to complete and is now up and running, seemingly OK.

My wife has an identical laptop so I will do it when we get home on Wednesday.

My impression is the laptop seems to perform no differently from when it was running Win 8.1 - whereas my desktop is definitely a little quicker at most tasks. On both computers the Edge browser is very fast compared with IE 11.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Edge is definitely faster than IE though it is still in development and has a few glitches to be sorted out yet, you'll find that the forum smiles/emoticons cant be clicked on in the Edge browser yet and occasionally scrolling will freeze.

In the Edge settings make sure to disable Flash, it's not needed with native htlm5.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: CraigB
... you'll find that the forum smiles/emoticons cant be clicked on in the Edge browser yet ...

Yeah it seems to be a bit immature at handling javascript events:

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Not even tried Edge, Firefox works though. :)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I wouldn't say that they are violating privacy, if people read the Eula's ( privacy statement ) that they have to accept before installing Win10 then they would know what they're in for :wink:

All these tin hat people like to kick up a stink over anything new yet their phones are giving away just as much if not more information and then they use FaceBook which harvests even more info :rolleyes: heck! once your connected to the net your IP and machine number is available to anyone in the know and that info is enough to give away your life story :wink:

As Win10 is a universal OS then there are many features activated which are also for Phone - Tablet OS's, and then you have the services that can link all these together like OneDrive and Groove Music for sharing benefits, being a new system it is beneficial for one to navigate through any new system to familiarise themselves and disable unnecessary features.

Your security programs that have been used in the past are quite sufficient to do the job required, even Defender has had a huge boost in protection levels now supporting cloud functions, add Malwarebytes Premium to that is even better but free version is good enough with regular scans, another free security program you could add is Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit for that extra browser protection against ransom kits.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:whsaid:

Ensure you look around all features during the installation & always select "custom" options, to see what is being defaulted.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
This is useful ...

:link: Fix Windows 10 privacy

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I wouldn't say that they are violating privacy, if people read the Eula's ( privacy statement ) that they have to accept before installing Win10 then they would know what they're in for :wink:

All these tin hat people like to kick up a stink over anything new yet their phones are giving away just as much if not more information and then they use FaceBook which harvests even more info :rolleyes: heck! once your connected to the net your IP and machine number is available to anyone in the know and that info is enough to give away your life story :wink:

As Win10 is a universal OS then there are many features activated which are also for Phone - Tablet OS's, and then you have the services that can link all these together like OneDrive and Groove Music for sharing benefits, being a new system it is beneficial for one to navigate through any new system to familiarise themselves and disable unnecessary features.

Your security programs that have been used in the past are quite sufficient to do the job required, even Defender has had a huge boost in protection levels now supporting cloud functions, add Malwarebytes Premium to that is even better but free version is good enough with regular scans, another free security program you could add is Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit for that extra browser protection against ransom kits.

Whilst this is clearly of no use to you CraigB, we do have other members whom may wish to have a read through the 'Tech Republic' advice... and benefit from it  :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Who reads Privacy statements? If you read every Privacy statement you were invited to read you wouldn't have time for a life!  :spitty:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Whilst this is clearly of no use to you CraigB, we do have other members whom may wish to have a read through the 'Tech Republic' advice... and benefit from it  :Shocked: :Shocked:
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with reading the article but when these tin hatters start bashing a system or company over privacy issues they need to open their bloody eyes and look at the big picture as they are not doing anything new or unusual, these are the standard settings for most technology nowadays...people only have to read the privacy statements of what their smart TV's - phones - ISP's are collecting to know this is all standard stuff and not malicious behaviour as depicted.

Steve's link shows an easily understandable way to shut it all off :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If like me you have no need for OneDrive and would like to completely remove it from Win10 then follow these steps below...

Courtesy of irQubn for this script

First you need to create a text file by opening Notepad, then copy/paste the script below, once you have pasted the script then name the file ( RemoveOneDrive.bat ) without the brackets and save the file to desktop.
Right click the file and choose "Run as Administrator"...no more OneDrive :)

@echo off
cls

set x86="%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe"
set x64="%SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe"

echo Closing OneDrive process.
echo.
taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe > NUL 2>&1
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5 > NUL 2>&1

echo Uninstalling OneDrive.
echo.
if exist %x64% (
%x64% /uninstall
) else (
%x86% /uninstall
)
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5 > NUL 2>&1

echo Removing OneDrive leftovers.
echo.
rd "%USERPROFILE%\OneDrive" /Q /S > NUL 2>&1
rd "C:\OneDriveTemp" /Q /S > NUL 2>&1
rd "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\OneDrive" /Q /S > NUL 2>&1
rd "%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft OneDrive" /Q /S > NUL 2>&1

echo Removeing OneDrive from the Explorer Side Panel.
echo.
REG DELETE "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}" /f > NUL 2>&1
REG DELETE "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}" /f > NUL 2>&1

pause

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Completely uninstall Windows 10 apps with PowerShell :link: Completely Uninstall Pre-Installed Apps From Windows 10 using PowerShell Commands | What's With Tech?

Please make an image before making changes, in the case you are not happy with the change or just plain changed your mind then an image will revert you to a prior state.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 17:09:35 by CraigB »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The honeymoon with Win 10 is over for me.

I keep getting programs or the web browser freeze - even when using IE11 rather than Edge.

Photobucket sometimes refuses to let me copy a link

Outlook sometimes takes ages to load and then download Emails.

My favourite forum smilies cannot be loaded into a post without hassle.

There are problems with Flash in Edge - the videos in the BBC News site do not load in Edge unless Flash is enabled. Even then its iffy.

I don't like the menu system - I am so stuck in my Win 8 ways that it is taking ages to find things

It does not remember the position and size of individual folders and links on the desktop. Shell Folder Fix which cured the problem in Win 8 does not work in Win 10.

Need I say more

Acronis came to the rescue - I recovered my Win 8.1 backup taken immediately before I loaded Win 10 and I am back with Win 8.1

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Thank you Alan, I was just about to take the plunge.

I will await further developments and let the more adventurous (foolish) rush in and solve the problems  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The honeymoon with Win 10 is over for me.

I keep getting programs or the web browser freeze - even when using IE11 rather than Edge.

Photobucket sometimes refuses to let me copy a link

Outlook sometimes takes ages to load and then download Emails.

My favourite forum smilies cannot be loaded into a post without hassle.

There are problems with Flash in Edge - the videos in the BBC News site do not load in Edge unless Flash is enabled. Even then its iffy.

I don't like the menu system - I am so stuck in my Win 8 ways that it is taking ages to find things

It does not remember the position and size of individual folders and links on the desktop. Shell Folder Fix which cured the problem in Win 8 does not work in Win 10.

Need I say more

Acronis came to the rescue - I recovered my Win 8.1 backup taken immediately before I loaded Win 10 and I am back with Win 8.1
That's no good Alan, a Win 10 cumulative update was released only an hour ago to fix numerous bugs, cant say I've really had any issues myself though other than the smiles problem in Edge and the occasional freeze with Edge browser...all solved for the time being by sticking to the IE browser.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the warning Alan (I get on really well with 7 and 8.1)  :goodjob:

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Not spotted any problems myself as yet, though I only installed it on my Dell desktop which I don't use too often. Will install the updates next time I turn it on. Got fed up with new menu so put back Classic Start, Windows 7 style.

Mainly use laptop with separate monitor and wireless keyboard for 98% of stuff and that is staying on Win 7. :)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well, this topic has developed nicely.
Glad I asked.
And glad I decided not to rock the boat with what I have.  :goodjob:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well, I'm still pleasantly surprised with the way W10 is eking out... absolutely no issues here whatsoever, though I have to admit that Edge has trouble with javascript clashes (which is why it has problems adding smilies to posts). Then again, I use Chrome for my webbing :)

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Alan.........

If you did a standard installation then Microsoft now knows more about you than ever before !!!

How cool is that  :goodjob:

• 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I didn't do a standard installation - I never do with software that allows you to select options - as did Windows 10.

I had the choice this morning - help Libby with weeding the garden or reinstall Windows 10 - being a masochist - I chose the latter to see of my Win 10 problems repeat themselves.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Son loaded onto his new laptop. Only took a few mins to download, I selected express settings and it was set up instantaneously. Haven't heard any complaints yet.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I didn't do a standard installation - I never do with software that allows you to select options - as did Windows 10.

I had the choice this morning - help Libby with weeding the garden or reinstall Windows 10 - being a masochist - I chose the latter to see of my Win 10 problems repeat themselves.

Yep, impetuous fool that I am I did it this morning.  Followed immediately by running the update a couple of times so as to make sure that any problems which have been solved got the latest iteration.

No problems to report here   :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I am having to use a different browser for some websites.

For this forum I use IE11 which works fine but is sometimes taking an age to load a page and occasionally freezes. 

For the BBC news I have until now used IE11, which worked perfectly, but when using EDGE some links using Flash do not work properly.

For general browsing I now use EDGE as a first resort because it is so fast. But when hitting a Flash problem I try IE11 or Firefox.

I have noticed that since installing Win 10, Internet Explorer takes much longer to load sites and is sometimes freezing. It's as if Microsoft have tweaked something to frustrate you enough with IE that you change over to EDGE as the default browser

As an experiment I just timed how long it took to open this forum using IE11, Firefox and EDGE. IE took 6 seconds, Firefox took 3 seconds and EDGE took less than 2 seconds.

Has anyone else noticed this - or am I seeing things............ :Dunno:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I use Chrome exclusively so cannot really comment on the Edge/IE saga.

If Edge were fully HTML5-compliant, those "flash" websites might load correctly, so I believe, but until MS get the browser rendering upto standards and websites stop using actual Shockwave content, you'll have to multi-browse as you currently have to.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal