i30 Owners Club

Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Surferdude · 175 · 41306

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've been noticing a lot of slow downs on this forum today with IE, it's been fine for me on other forums.

Alan, have you tried disabling flash in Edge as it shouldn't be necessary.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I've been noticing a lot of slow downs on this forum today with IE, it's been fine for me on other forums.

Alan, have you tried disabling flash in Edge as it shouldn't be necessary.

I believe you mentioned this before Craig and I tried it with EDGE.

The result was that on some BBC links I got an error message stating that Flash was not installed and they refused to play. The error message came with a link to install Flash - so for the hell of it I tried it - and my computer froze. I was unable to load task manager and eventually resorted to a hard reboot.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sounds like the BBC site needs to update their website to html5 compatibility as it's a standard in most of the popular browsers now :disapp:

Also a mistake that their website offers Flash Player so they are clearly behind in their web duties, as in Windows 8 IE flash player can only be installed/updated via Windows updates and it's the same with Win10, Flash Player is going to be phased out because of it's unsafe nature...as is Java "eventually"

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
A very simple way to remove unnecessary apps from Win10 - and restore them :link: How to Uninstall Windows 10?s Built-in Apps (and How to Reinstall Them)

I've removed all apps from my systems to make them behave in a more traditional manner.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
 :rofl: @ FatBoy, that is not encouraging me to change my dell laptop to windows 10. :snigger: While I am posting , when I do decide to change it has been suggested that it is best to use customise rather than express settings. My question is if express is used can I then go back in and customise the settings after. As I understand it customise has to be done during install and I would probably just let it do it's thing while I amuse myself elsewhere.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Customise only takes a few minutes, if you use the express settings all your default applications will be taken over by the Win10 apps...eg - Windows media player ( Music ) will be changed to Groove Music - videos will be changed to Film and TV as well as photos all changed to app features.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
"ns"
 :snigger:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It might be relative if you hadn't pictured XP there Gonz :D

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: CraigB
Customise only takes a few minutes...

Yep, but it still won't prevent telemetry being sent out  :fum:

:link: Windows 10 sends personal data to Microsoft, even if users tell it not to - News - Gadgets and Tech - The Independent
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Telemetry is sent to your ISP every time you connect your system to the net, plus every website is also collecting your data...the only way to obtain privacy these days is to simply not go on the web :)

I've removed all apps including OneDrive so the only information I'll be sending out is to Defenders cloud function :victory:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Customise only takes a few minutes, if you use the express settings all your default applications will be taken over by the Win10 apps...eg - Windows media player ( Music ) will be changed to Groove Music - videos will be changed to Film and TV as well as photos all changed to app features.

Thank's Craig, Still undecided at the moment about upgrading just yet but on advice will customise when I do. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
During the past week my startup programs have failed to start when Win10 loads... Setpoint, Greenshot etc, all have to be started manually whereas previously (in Win8.1) those services started automatically. That didn't happen when I first upgraded :(

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
During the past week my startup programs have failed to start when Win10 loads... Setpoint, Greenshot etc, all have to be started manually whereas previously (in Win8.1) those services started automatically. That didn't happen when I first upgraded :(
Are there any software or driver updates on the Logitech website :undecided: one of the cumulative updates might have caused some incompatibility issues.

Try reinstalling Greenshot to see if it helps " if you haven't already tried " I guess Greenshot will be releasing an update before to long as their last update was April 20th and not listed as Win10 compatible at this stage.

You could always use ShareX :link: Download ShareX 10.1.0 - FileHippo.com internally it's Greenshot with some other nice features added and was updated August 3rd to give Win10 compatibility.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Greeenshot is working fine on my Win 10 system - but I have an equally vexing problem

I used Outlook 2010 for Emails and have set IE 11 as the default browser. If I click on a link in an Email - such as a message from the forum notifying a new post and a link to open it - when I click on the link Outlook more often than not freezes and refuses to open the link. On the rare occasion I get any action - a window opens asking me to choose which browser to use. I choose IE11 and it opens OK - albeit at a snails pace.

If I set Firefox or Edge as the default browser it works fine - but each of those browsers give me other problems elsewhere - Edge especially.

EDIT 25 minutes later

After posting the above message Windows decided to install an update. After the computer re-booted - two message from the forum arrived in my Outlook inbox and when I clicked on the links they worked perfectly.

Microsoft must be monitoring this thread and rushed through a fix for me................ :goodjob: :goodjob: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 15:15:36 by AlanHo »

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Quote from: CraigB
Customise only takes a few minutes...

Yep, but it still won't prevent telemetry being sent out  :fum:

:link: Windows 10 sends personal data to Microsoft, even if users tell it not to - News - Gadgets and Tech - The Independent

Yes, I read that earlier. The slightly worrying bit is "Other information that the computers send out is “quite impenetrable”, according to the site. The computers seem to be sending out information through a special network that means that it can’t be monitored."

Though I'm not too fussed really.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I don't know whether it is an update to Edge - or whether it is a BBC Fix - but Edge appears to be playing videos on the BBC site now.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: AlanHo
I don't know whether it is an update to Edge - or whether it is a BBC Fix - but Edge appears to be playing videos on the BBC site now.
You probably have the latest cumulative update installed (KB3081438)

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081438

Which includes updates to the following files:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Another question, as I do not use my windows lap top very often can I reserve windows ten on it but get them to notify me by Email on my  Apple Mac when it's ready to be installed ? The Email address on my Mac is different to the one on the lap top . Thank's.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As far as I know you don't get an email, not that I've seen anyway...the notification is given via the upgrade assistant which will then download the upgrade through Windows updates.

Easiest way is to go through the Microsoft website and download direct rather than waiting for the assistant upgrade "which has been failing on most systems"

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thank you Craig , most helpful. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
No problem :goodjob2: here's a link :link: Windows 10 choose your system - 32 or 64, you'll be given an option to download iso or upgrade...the latter being the easiest option.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think it's a good move and one that was expected eventually, pirated software costs companies billions of dollars every year and that lose is passed to the legitimate/honest consumers through higher purchase prices...burn the thieves I say :D

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I think it's a good move and one that was expected eventually, pirated software costs companies billions of dollars every year and that lose is passed to the legitimate/honest consumers through higher purchase prices...burn the thieves I say :D

Very true, but is the OS intelligent enough to know the difference between "pirated" and "abandoned"????
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
We'll see I time I guess, not sure how far their software searches are going to extend though...I think they are only concerned with Store applications at this stage :undecided:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Updated one of the laptops and underwhelmed by 10 to be honest. Now wondering if every time I turn the laptop on or off which is infrequently its going to want to update something instead of letting me get to work.

Anyway everything else remains Win 7, it works well enough.

On the piracy, the argument that its costing software developers squillions is flawed. Surely those that steal games wouldn't buy them in the first place?
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Well if they cant steal software then they'll have to buy it so the developers then get their Labor's paid for, or the thieves just go without...jeez! we might get a generation of kids that return outdoors to play :crazy2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal