i30 Owners Club

Australian Election 2013

Ugly Mongrel · 749 · 142853

Online Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
That's what I'll be saying to the ALP on September 7th, but without the "more."  :D

:MeToo:  :baps:
:whsaid:
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

How the real cost of living increases compare with the coalition's version. :disapp:
http://brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/the-affluenza-effect-20130830-2sw3t.html
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm constantly amazed that you can get so excited over Abbott most likely winning, Dave.... :undecided:
After all, what really have we got to look forward to, increased taxes and cutbacks?

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Looks like I was wrong, Queensland doesn't have a mortgage on stupid pollies. The Loons Libs have this fruitcake in NSW. :disapp:

http://brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/libs-plan-to-microchip-suspects-by-sniper-rifle-20130830-2sw8k.html

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

I'm constantly amazed that you can get so excited over Abbott most likely winning, Dave.... :undecided:
After all, what really have we got to look forward to, increased taxes and cutbacks?

Indonesian firemen are looking forward to Abbott  winning more than Aussie car workers and Public Servants are, rustynutz.  :disapp:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Why do you think the Libs will have to increase taxes and cut back spending, Rusty?
Think it through logically.
ZERO debt PLUS $50 billion dollars in the bank at hand over from Liberal to ALP in 2007.
Compared with today - Over $300 billion dollars in debt and borrowing more money as we go to pay the loan interest payments.
Doesn't that worry you?
And don't give me the GFC as a reason.
The ALP were so lucky to be handed books like that otherwise we would have gone down.
We cannot afford any more of this madness.
And just so you think I'm only saying this to praise the Liberals and kick the ALP, I will say (and have said before) that in this state we have the opposite problems - a Liberal govt who has spent/is spending WAY too much and to be honest, I don't think we're sailing that well as a state economy.
Add to the above (federal) stuff, four (4) individuals in detention as asylum seekers when Liberal handed over to the ALP and immediately RUDD slackened the policy on border protection. It was one of the very first things he did - toss out the Liberal policy that worked and implemeted his own.
And now what do we have? Over 50,000 asylum seekers scattered all over the country, Asia Pacific, local communities, etc and the federal government has LOST control. They don't know who they've got where.
Rudd STUFFED UP! It was under control but he couldn't bear to keep a Liberal policy that had worked.
Just thinking logically, I fail to see how anyone could consider giving these lunatics another three years. It is beyond me.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Why do you think the Libs will have to increase taxes and cut back spending, Rusty?

Well, logic tell's me that if we are that far in debt we either cut back on spending or put up taxes..... :undecided:
But what would I know, I'm only a peasant with not a lot of interest in politics... :lol:

Seems it's Howard & Costello's fault that we're in debt anyhow....  :whistler:

:link:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sorry, Don't agree with this article.

If you sit with a computer with enough data, you can concoct any story you like, to suit your argument.

Costello promises or delivers 8 tax cuts and that is a bad thing, is the author completely crazy , or what.
ALL governments will fleece the public at any opportunity, so if Costello saw fit to reduce tax levels, there really must have been plenty of cash in the bank. There was too, it was consumed to buy our way out of the GFC.

So a tax cut is seen as a bad move, I think not. If the tax system is "weak" as stated in the article it is because spending has gone critical and you can only blame the party in government for that.

There are pretty graphs about private household spending and debt. So what, if tax cuts allow more money in people's pockets, of course spending will increase, what would you expect. This is good for the economy as GST revenues assist the government to fund itself, nothing wrong with that.

Let's project this on today's climate. If Govt spending is not reduced, the borrowings and interest debt will become a long term burden on all taxpayer's and their children. If the debt is addressed and spending cuts are imposed, this will dry up revenue from GST, stress businesses and probably require higher taxes to bolster Govt revenue, all brought on by the current irresponsible govt.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD

ZERO debt PLUS $50 billion dollars in the bank at hand over from Liberal to ALP in 2007.
Compared with today - Over $300 billion dollars in debt and borrowing more money as we go to pay the loan interest payments.
Doesn't that worry you?
And don't give me the GFC as a reason.
The ALP were so lucky to be handed books like that otherwise we would have gone down.
We cannot afford any more of this madness.
And just so you think I'm only saying this to praise the Liberals and kick the ALP, I will say (and have said before) that in this state we have the opposite problems - a Liberal govt who has spent/is spending WAY too much and to be honest, I don't think we're sailing that well as a state economy.
Add to the above (federal) stuff, four (4) individuals in detention as asylum seekers when Liberal handed over to the ALP and immediately RUDD slackened the policy on border protection. It was one of the very first things he did - toss out the Liberal policy that worked and implemeted his own.
And now what do we have? Over 50,000 asylum seekers scattered all over the country, Asia Pacific, local communities, etc and the federal government has LOST control. They don't know who they've got where.
Rudd STUFFED UP! It was under control but he couldn't bear to keep a Liberal policy that had worked.
Just thinking logically, I fail to see how anyone could consider giving these lunatics another three years. It is beyond me.

On the zero debt lets review the facts:

http://www.marketeconomics.com.au/2095-more-facts-behind-the-howard-governments-debt-elimination

The $96 billion “Labor debt” inherited by the Howard Government in 1996 comprised $39.9 billion of Fraser Government debt that carried through the Hawke/Keating period meaning that the true level of Labor debt in 1996 was $56 billion.  To pay that $56 billion off, the Howard Government sold almost $72 billion of Government assets meaning the move to negative net debt was not really due to any miraculous and bold fiscal settings, but owed everything to a series of asset sales.

That is the convention wisdom on where the money came from. Some have gone further and suggested there should have been even more in the bank given the value of the assets sold but I won't go there.

I'm very afraid for what might happen if Joe Hockey is given the keys. Abbott goes on about how the Libs have a great record of financial management but none of those people from days gone by are around today. The conditions of the Howard years were quite different to today as well, there's not much left to sell these days. Joe Hockey is a buffoon who was too embarrassed to present the numbers last time, he let some flunky take the fall for that cock up. You may recall the audit that wasn't an audit and when questioned about it he flat out said he didn't want to talk about it. Where's the accountability for he who would be the treasurer. If anyone who worked for me made a blunder like that they would not be getting a second go that's for sure.

This time he has an independent panel of advisers who have verified the numbers apparently - not an audit though. There are so many examples of his fiscal illiteracy which should be scaring the sh!t out anyone who is logically and dispassionately weighing up the alternatives regarding fiscal management. Option A, the team that spent a shedload and kept us out of a recession and admittedly also made some poor choices or the team that actually has NO track record of fiscal management to fall back on. That's right NO record at all. Like all political parties, the "Liberals" are an organisation where people come and go. Who was the brains behind the management during the Howard years, not Tony (health), not Joe. As I recall it was JH and Peter Costello primarily in charge of the financials at that time. Didn't Fraser leave a mighty debt at the end of his tenure? How then can the Abbot team claim to have a track record of fiscal excellence? Beats me.

Backing up to the previous elections financials, its clear they had no clue. We can't tell at present because they won't come clean with the figures. This time round they have timed the release of figures to coincide with the media blackout so there can be no debate about them. That's completely unacceptable in my view, they should be out in the open right now where we can discuss their offering and make up our mind whether they are speaking with a forked tongue or not. That goes for all parties.

On the asylum situation, polling is now showing that we don't really care as much as the pollies think. Lets face it, its a beat up and the electorate have tuned out. There are far more actual illegal immigrants here that come by plane than boat and no one ever talks about that in parliament. Why? No votes in it I reckon. And that's why they have pretty much stopped talking about border protection for now - they figured out there's no votes in it for them - aside from the fact that the Libs "plans" for border protection are now completely ludicrous.

Back to financials, this article appears fairly balanced reviewing Labour and Liberal stances over the years and identifies the strengths of the Howard years. I fail to see any correlation with the current Liberal team.

http://theconversation.com/was-john-howard-really-fiscally-profligate-11601

I want the team that can provide stability and manage any situation, a real management team. Truth is at this election, I'm not sure we have a sensible or safe option in any of the parties. And that's a real worry.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
What you say makes so much sense, Keith....  :goodjob:

And that list of sell offs is enough to make you sick.... :mad:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What you say makes so much sense, Keith....  :goodjob:

"But what would I know, I'm only a peasant with not a lot of interest in politics... :lol:"

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=260177;topic=23463.540
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Backing up to the previous elections financials, its clear they had no clue. We can't tell at present because they won't come clean with the figures. This time round they have timed the release of figures to coincide with the media blackout so there can be no debate about them. That's completely unacceptable in my view, they should be out in the open right now where we can discuss their offering and make up our mind whether they are speaking with a forked tongue or not. That goes for all parties.

I'm glad you said it goes for all parties because at the 2007 election Rudd released his costings at 5.00pm on the Friday before the election on Saturday so there was no time for debate.
Yet he criticizes Abbott for not having released them all when Abbott has said he will release them before the election and in time for people to consider them.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
sadly Dave Politics being Politics,Abbott will do similar,probably realease them at 3 pm on Friday
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Maybe.
We'll see.
I for one will be disappointed if he does.
  • Tertius the i30

Online Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD

I'm glad you said it goes for all parties because at the 2007 election Rudd released his costings at 5.00pm on the Friday before the election on Saturday so there was no time for debate.
Yet he criticizes Abbott for not having released them all when Abbott has said he will release them before the election and in time for people to consider them.

Correct. We have to choose between dumb and dumber. Its a worry.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

In that case I'll go for a new Dumb.
I've had enough of Dumber being the PM.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Maybe.
We'll see.
He's already said it'll be Wednesday - but maybe later. :disapp:
And apparently, something like 20% of voters will have already voted, without having access to that information.

Online Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD

That sort of reasoning gave us in Qld Campbell Newman. And that's why I think its inevitable there will be a change. Only time will tell if its going to be a change for the better.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

That sort of reasoning gave us in Qld Campbell Newman. And that's why I think its inevitable there will be a change. Only time will tell if its going to be a change for the better.
Campbell Newman may have some faults but he's had to make some tough decisions based on what went on before.

Tugun De-salination plant
Traveston Dam
Health Dep't payroll bungle
Anna's "creation" of her 30,000 jobs by adding contractors.

.........all just the tip of the iceberg.

Online Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Agree, just saying is all...

Its worth checking out this morning's Insiders on the ABC. Quite a range of views on the election situation with some insightful observations.

Here's an interesting post election pondering: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-30/cassidy-this-is-the-calm-before-the-political-storm/4922744

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Maybe.
We'll see.
He's already said it'll be Wednesday - but maybe later. :disapp:
And apparently, something like 20% of voters will have already voted, without having access to that information.

Much better than Rudd's con then, 5.00 pm on the day before election.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

It was tongue in cheek.
Tony Abbott is far from dumb.
I think that both candidates have high IQs actually but as I've said previously, I'd rather vote for parties than individuals. We don't as yet have a president.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

It was tongue in cheek.
I think that both candidates have high IQs actually but as I've said previously, I'd rather vote for parties than individuals. We don't as yet have a president.

Having a high IQ doesn't mean you've got any common sense.  :mrgreen:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'll second that.... :goodjob:

I know a few people with high IQ's and they are as dumb as dog sh*t...  :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

It was tongue in cheek.

Having a high IQ doesn't mean you've got any common sense.  :mrgreen:

I agree with that.
But I still don't think he's dumb.
I think it's something the media has taken hold of and lots of people just jump on board.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Great to see Tony has great policies for agriculture, justice and aged care.  :disapp:

The ACT, South Australia and the NT must be chuffed with their share of the Noalition pork barrel.  :disapp:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/pork-o-meter

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal