i30 Owners Club

Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Surferdude · 175 · 41758

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Well i've gone an done an did it, took my life in my hands and upgraded the desk top of the wife's and a laptop thankfully all good and  I live to post another day :snigger:   Followed Craig's customise instead of express  :goodjob2: . Did worry a bit when the install hung about for quite a while on 76 % but I stared it out and eventually it got the message and completed. :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Well done John :goodjob: now you just need to shut off all the tabs in the privacy settings and disable apps running in the background to save power and speed up system responsiveness.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Well done John :goodjob: now you just need to shut off all the tabs in the privacy settings and disable apps running in the background to save power and speed up system responsiveness.

Did that as well, thank's for all your help Craig I was very dubious about upgrading but your information made it easier. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Well if they cant steal software then they'll have to buy it so the developers then get their Labor's paid for, or the thieves just go without...jeez! we might get a generation of kids that return outdoors to play :crazy2:

I'd rather they didn't - I've rather gone off kids in my old age.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Alan, I can just picture you chasing them down the street :lol: put your nurse outfit on and that'll stop em returning :snigger:

Offline Grim Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
Hi guys,

My job is network administrator and i'd like to give 2 tips about upgrading to Windows 10.

The free period ends at 29/07/2016, so i advice you to wait until we near that date to get your free copy and install Windows 10.
By that time all the bug fixes and extra performance features will have been implemented and running smooth :)

If you do wanna have a go at it, dont forget about the upgrade assistant that will tell you beforehand if everything will keep working. Or better yet, what will not work if you do the upgrade.

:link: Upgrade Assistant: FAQ - Windows Help

"There are four main things that Upgrade Assistant does:

It scans your PC, desktop apps, and connected devices to see if they'll work with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. Upgrade Assistant specifically checks your PC hardware to see if it meets the system requirements to install on your PC, including features of the processor such as CPU speed, PAE, NX, and SSE2, as well as RAM size and hard drive capacity. For more info, see What are PAE, NX and SSE2?

It provides a compatibility report. The compatibility report lists your apps and devices that will work in Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, those that might not work or won't be available, and what you can do to get them working again. You can save or print the compatibility report to use later. If some of your apps and devices aren’t listed, it might be because we don't have compatibility info from the developer or manufacturer for that product yet. For more info on specific products, check the Windows Compatibility Center, or contact the product manufacturer. For more info about solving compatibility problems, see Getting your applications and devices working in Windows 8.1.

Note that after you upgrade, all of your compatible desktop apps will need to be reinstalled using the original installation discs, or purchase confirmation emails if you bought the apps online. If you're updating to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8, just your Windows Store apps will need to be reinstalled. You can do this in the Store by swiping down from the top edge of the screen or right-clicking, tapping or clicking Your apps, and then choosing the apps you want to reinstall. You can also reinstall apps from the Start screen by tapping or clicking the tiles.

If you're running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, Upgrade Assistant checks your PC for support of certain features. If your PC doesn't support one or more of these features you'll see a warning. You'll still be able to install Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, but specific features won't be available to you.

If you're running Windows 7, Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant provides the option to buy, download, and install Windows 8.1. If your PC is ready to go, Upgrade Assistant provides a recommendation on which edition to buy, and walks you through the steps to upgrade. If you're running Windows Vista or Windows XP, Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant provides the option to buy, download, and install Windows 8 only in certain countries or regions."
  • Hyundai i30 Comfort 1.6

Offline Grim Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
Just bought myself a gaming rig (I couldn't resist the lure of the new Dirt game which needs DX11 and had already dabbled a little with Steam on my old kit and liked it a lot!), so my shiny new i7 with 16Gb of RAM, 4 Gb GTX NVidia card and 3Tb hard drive will be getting the upgrade from 8.1 which is actually OK IMO, certainly much better than 8.0 was....

Too bad you didn't get an small SSD for your windows installation and important games/programs. It makes more diffrence then anything else, i boot in less then 30 seconds with everything that has to start up.
SSD is just faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast   :crazy1:

BTW if you like DIRT you should also check out these games, i REALLY recommend them (maybe you already have them)

- GTA V (more then just racing offcourse)
- All the Need For Speed games (newest are the best), in some versions you can shoot at other cars or police.
- Gas Guzzlers Extreme, a racing game with lots of shooting :)   ( :link: Gas Guzzlers Extreme on Steam )
- Burnout Paradise, racing with f***ing nice action and nice slow motion with every crash ( :link: Burnout Paradise Crashes Volume l - YouTube )
- Ridge Racer Unbounded, drift style (easy) turning and crashing threw buildings and more. Its just a quite short game that is GOOD fun and action. ( :link: Ridge Racer? Unbounded on Steam )
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:44:08 by The Gonz »
  • Hyundai i30 Comfort 1.6

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
:link: Why you should be (very) wary of Windows 10 if you own an older PC | CIO
Good info, thanks.
Obtaining (peripheral) hardware drivers for older equipment could be a problem.
If attempting an upgrade, take a system image first - as advised by Steve earlier this month.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'm no expert on this stuff.
I can only say that Sue downloaded Windows 10 on her laptop and was then unable to access internet.
She took it to the computer shop who said it was being caused by Windows 10, removed it, and gave her a $149 bill.   :evil:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm no expert on this stuff.
I can only say that Sue downloaded Windows 10 on her laptop and was then unable to access internet.
She took it to the computer shop who said it was being caused by Windows 10, removed it, and gave her a $149 bill.   :evil:
Scumbag computer shop :disapp: I can almost guarantee it would have been the radio setting that requires turning off to fix Sue's problem Dave, it's turned on by default and with some older cards it will disable connectivity.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^^^ yep same. That setting was causing my Dell Latitude to stay silent.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Plus Win10 gives you the option with one click to return to your previous version...not quite worth $149 :faint:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Pity no one told Doggie1  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks guys, I'll take it up with them.   :goodjob2:
I knew it wasn't right because it didn't happen straight away after Windows 10 was installed.
I HATE being ripped off and my gut instinct was it would be a setting.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The internet was showing as connected but couldn't connect to any web pages.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Upgrade from 8.1 went fine for me.

When upgrading Dad's computer he had problems with Outlook. Would only receive emails, not send them.

I did a bit of searching and found that I needed to run sfc /scannow and it fixed the problem.

My thought is to leave upgrades for a few months, and probably do them around Christmas.

I suggested to Dad that he keep on the newest operating system whilst ever he can still "learn" how to use it because one day he might find new ways too hard and then he'll be best placed to keep using a secure operating system for a longer period, post the day that he is no longer able to upgrade.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
My upgrades went well but my grandson upgraded two days ago now his computer is extremely slow owing to memory leak and he is having a real job finding the cause. He has tried a couple of things he found on the net regarding this problem but has not had any success yet. He thinks it is a driver but is having trouble finding what one, he will succeed though he never gives in.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
John, the biggest conflicts I've seen so far is anti-virus programs and graphics drivers, I know AMD are having issues...NVidia ( which I use ) have released two updates since the Win10 release and seems good so far, also many AV's required removal prior to the upgrade then re-installation.

If your grandsons system has a graphics card I'd be looking at a clean install of graphics card drivers but probably first start with removal of any third party AV if he has one.

Very hard to diagnose these things sometimes :head_butt:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My upgrades went well but my grandson upgraded two days ago now his computer is extremely slow owing to memory leak and he is having a real job finding the cause. He has tried a couple of things he found on the net regarding this problem but has not had any success yet. He thinks it is a driver but is having trouble finding what one, he will succeed though he never gives in.

Yeah, sounds like a slow driver!  :whistler: :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Yeah, sounds like a slow driver!  :whistler: :rofl: :rofl:

Thank's Dazz I will tell him to put his foot down. :rofl:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Just bought myself a gaming rig (I couldn't resist the lure of the new Dirt game which needs DX11 and had already dabbled a little with Steam on my old kit and liked it a lot!), so my shiny new i7 with 16Gb of RAM, 4 Gb GTX NVidia card and 3Tb hard drive will be getting the upgrade from 8.1 which is actually OK IMO, certainly much better than 8.0 was....

Too bad you didn't get an small SSD for your windows installation and important games/programs. It makes more diffrence then anything else, i boot in less then 30 seconds with everything that has to start up.
SSD is just faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast   :crazy1:

BTW if you like DIRT you should also check out these games, i REALLY recommend them (maybe you already have them)

- GTA V (more then just racing offcourse)
- All the Need For Speed games (newest are the best), in some versions you can shoot at other cars or police.
- Gas Guzzlers Extreme, a racing game with lots of shooting :)   ( :link: Gas Guzzlers Extreme on Steam )
- Burnout Paradise, racing with f***ing nice action and nice slow motion with every crash ( :link: Burnout Paradise Crashes Volume l - YouTube )
- Ridge Racer Unbounded, drift style (easy) turning and crashing threw buildings and more. Its just a quite short game that is GOOD fun and action. ( :link: Ridge Racer? Unbounded on Steam )

My machine boots and is ready to go in 21-23 seconds (measured by 360 Total Security), including autostart of Steam and ShadowPlay, don't think an SSD would make such a huge difference, particularly as the slowest part of startup is recognition and self calibration of my wheel, H pattern shifter and 3 pedal set.

All of the games you mention are not my cup of tea, too arcadey, I prefer the sim route.

I am really enjoying Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom Experience and oddly enough Truck Simulator 2.

i would question anybody recommending the Need for Speed Franchise, the best amongst them are the more sim oriented Shift series, all the rest have handling invented by a 3 year old :P
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Is it worth grabbing the ISO for free installation in the future or is it no longer free to install after the deadline? :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Is it worth grabbing the ISO for free installation in the future or is it no longer free to install after the deadline? :confused:
Gonz, it's only free until that 12 month deadline ticks over.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Gonz, it's only free until that 12 month deadline ticks over.
Oh well, no great loss. :lol:
"ns"
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Is there an easy way to turn off messages about windows 10 upgrade (I've decided I don't want it)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Is there an easy way to turn off messages about windows 10 upgrade (I've decided I don't want it)

I tried a couple of suggestions to turn them off on my laptop, which I'm keeping with 7 - but they didn't work. Also tried a utility which said it could do it - but it changed my default search engine and little else - had to revert to an earlier date to rid myself of it.   :confused:

Maybe Shambles has the answer? :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I tried a couple of suggestions to turn them off on my laptop, which I'm keeping with 7 - but they didn't work. Also tried a utility which said it could do it - but it changed my default search engine and little else - had to revert to an earlier date to rid myself of it.   :confused:

Maybe Shambles has the answer? :)

Thanks for trying! I haven't bothered to google yet... Everyone else but Microsoft has the don't show me this message again option..  :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Google is your friend! Just find and uninstall windows update # KB3035583 fixed!  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal